ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network Nerds

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I’m too tight to pay for pingplotter, so I am writing my own version. It’s open source (GPLv3) and I’m doing some of the housekeeping activities at the moment, part of which is creating installers.

I had to release the source code early to get a free license of VMware InstallBuilder (they kindly give enterprise licenses to open source projects!) and I’m also in the process of obtaining a code signing certificate which also required me to have the source available.

There’s currently no installers available (only got the license today) but I hope to work on that tomorrow.

The Ribbon Bar is just a placeholder at the moment and it currently only pings 1.1.1.1, but these are minor and won’t take me long to fix.

So currently you have to build it from source until I get the installers up and running.

It runs on Windows, Mac OS and Linux and you can find the source repo (and installers shortly!) here:

Given that internet usage is high at the monent, it can give interesting information about your connection.

I have lots of plans for the software.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I’m too tight to pay for pingplotter, so I am writing my own version. It’s open source (GPLv3) and I’m doing some of the housekeeping activities at the moment, part of which is creating installers.

I had to release the source code early to get a free license of VMware InstallBuilder (they kindly give enterprise licenses to open source projects!) and I’m also in the process of obtaining a code signing certificate which also required me to have the source available.

There’s currently no installers available (only got the license today) but I hope to work on that tomorrow.

The Ribbon Bar is just a placeholder at the moment and it currently only pings 1.1.1.1, but these are minor and won’t take me long to fix.

So currently you have to build it from source until I get the installers up and running.

It runs on Windows, Mac OS and Linux and you can find the source repo (and installers shortly!) here:

Given that internet usage is high at the monent, it can give interesting information about your connection.

I have lots of plans for the software.
Interesting mate - will check it out over the coming days.
I developed a network Fuzzer in C# a couple of years ago. Can send you over the source if you’re interested, something that could potentially be incorporated? Edit/modify as much as you want.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Interesting mate - will check it out over the coming days.
I developed a network Fuzzer in C# a couple of years ago. Can send you over the source if you’re interested, something that could potentially be incorporated? Edit/modify as much as you want.

Always happy for suggestions, by all means send me the code and I’ll have a play and see how I think I can incorporate it.

Pingnoo (it’s a play on words ping GNU) is written in C++, I use the Qt framework as I have many years of commercial software development experience using it. I’ve tried other languages and frameworks but nothing comes close for my needs.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Haven't done anything on the main application, but have been working on backend build stuff and now have a python script which can be run on each platform as part of CI, as a consequence I've generated and uploaded some test binaries:

- Windows, 64-bit (signed) installer.
- MacOS, 64-bit (signed) inside a DMG for insalling by dragging into the Applications folder.
- Linux, 64-bit AppImage.

Confession....I didn't actually test the Windows installer, it should work....famous last words.

Windows 10 - Direct Download Link

77832022-d5567680-712a-11ea-9680-1998915e4d2e.png

Linux - Direct Download Link

77832017-cc65a500-712a-11ea-9918-58f9bb675eb9.jpg

Mac OS - Direct Download Link

77832028-df787500-712a-11ea-9f8d-9a1c6df83409.png

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Ooh, very nice

I haven't done any work on the main application for a couple of weeks (partly because of working on compilation sutff, but also parly because I haven't been feeling too good), I have a few quick outstanding issues to sort to make it a lot more useful.

Currently it's hardcoded to target 1.1.1.1, I just need to add an input on the ribbon bar where you can type in the target and then it creates a new tabbed window and starts doing the pings to that target.

I need to implement the configuration system so that things like the host maskers and ping engines can be selected, from the screen shot you can see that it auto hides your hostname, I have implemented a couple of host maskers already, one which masks the public IP of your connection and another which allows you to refine regular expressions to mask the host names, it's a useful feature as you can just upload a screen shot without having to edit out your IP/hostname.

The ribbon bar is just a placeholder while I was doing the implementation of it....I need to make it more useful.

There's some work that needs to be done on the the Mac OS GUI, I've already fixed the fact that it didn't support dark mode, but there are positional tweak and font/antialiasing tweaks that I need to do, this is fairly low priority though. The Windows and Linux ports both look pretty good already, it shouldn't be much effort tweaking the Mac OS version.

The linux version crashes if you don't run it without superuser privilieges or setuid, RAW sockets require superuser privileges.

I only wrote this because I needed something like Pingplotter and I didn't want to pay for it! It's all open source as well, under the GPLv3.