ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 182 owner - help needed!

Hi all,

I picked up a 182 today, everything looked great no leaks and a comprehensive history. I had a really enjoyable drive home, a little over 100 miles.

When I pulled up on the driveway, I could smell fresh oil. I looked under the car and oil was dripping at a high rate and there was a pool of oil. I can't see anything from the engine bay, but the underneath was caked in oil. I've taken some photos to try and show where the oil is dripping from. Does anyone have any ideas where is could be leaking from? Are there and common places to check first?

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_181035__01.jpg
    IMG_20200118_181035__01.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20200118_181028.jpg
    IMG_20200118_181028.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20200118_181023.jpg
    IMG_20200118_181023.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 94

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi. Does the oil absolutely stink? It looks like gearbox oil from the colour. Possibly leaking from the driveshaft seal? It should not be pouring out! The gearbox only holds 3.1ltrs of oil so I would not advise driving it until sorted. Low oil kills the boxes.

From what I'm told, the car was serviced recently.

I'm going to get a friend to come round tomorrow with a jack and axel stands, to see if we can spot anything. I'll check the engine oil and power steering fluid beforehand.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Don't know whether this is useful information, but the belts and dephaser were changed in September.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Don't know whether this is useful information, but the belts and dephaser were changed in September.

Should hopefully of had an oil change then.

From my experience the most common oil leaks are from gearbox selector shaft seal, driveshaft oil seals.

Dephaser solenoid seal, sump, main seal and rocker cover. I have had a cracked sump before that leaked a fair bit of oil.

Power steering pipes(although check the reservoir level and colour of fluid).

Be worth cleaning all the oil off, then let it tick over and get underneath to see if you can find where its coming from.

Last edited:
Came out this morning and had a look at the extent of the leak overnight, looks like a fair bit of oil has come out. Checked the fluid levels in the engine bay and all were ok.

Got it up on axle stands and had a clean up, it looks like the leak is coming from the driveshaft seal.

How big of a job is this to fix?

With the amount of oil loss is it driveable to a local garage or do I need to get it transported?

Also, is there supposed to be some kind of gaiter or boot covering this area?

76e954655dbdedb7da3638d2b45682d1.jpg
52a217e05555dfc94c12188d7eadce42.jpg
2c9bb1375b1dbe21be6623f51c238a20.jpg
8501bb471e460c9190fd04a362ff4ad7.jpg

7dba0bc79dcfc4b57436822bcb7b7984.jpg

Last edited:

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Man that's sucks, it's going to be gearbox out more than likely, on the way home did it crunch into any gears 2nd n 3rd are the usual ones.
Maybe @NorthloopCup can shine some light on the extent of work required to change the seal?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at your pictures it appears that way but have you looked topside of the gearbox to make sure it's not something leaking above and dropping off the box

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Remove the driveshaft, drain the gear oil and remove the output shaft seal. Put the new seal on and carefully tap it into place. Refit shaft, refill with oil and road test. Check for leaks - all ok? Jobs a good un. If it leaks again then you’ve potentially got something creating an issue.

Remove the driveshaft, drain the gear oil and remove the output shaft seal. Put the new seal on and carefully tap it into place. Refit shaft, refill with oil and road test. Check for leaks - all ok? Jobs a good un. If it leaks again then you’ve potentially got something creating an issue.

That's awesome, thank you.

Any recommendations on where to get a driveshaft? J and R on eBay, and the ones at Euro Car Parts or the K Tec Racing part?