ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car Opinions ?

BMW M135i
Right, i'm quickly coming up to having 1 year ncb and i'm itching for something a bit quicker. I'm basically looking at something around a 1.6 and not above group 10, so basically a warm hatch.
Would ideally get a 182 but insurance is a killer so it will have to wait.

As of now i'm completely torn between a Clio 1.6 16v and a Yaris T-Sport, i'm currently leaning towards the Yaris because it looks the dogs, is something different, isn't too slow either and it makes an awesome noise.
The Clio has the bonus of everthing i've got in my 1.2 now will just swap over and I get gadgets such as climate and cruise control which I can't have in the Yaris but to me it just doesn't have the same wow factor the Yaris does and is in effect the same old Clio thats just faster, don't get me wrong I love my Clio but something new would be nice.
The insurance for both is pretty much the same give or take 30 notes and the cost of buying and running is about the same
Have also looked at a drove both a VTR and a Zetec-S and can't get on with them, the zs does look good I won't deny but I just can't get on with that interior.

Specs on both incase anyone wonders:
Clio : http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs/data.aspx?model_id=742&id=24165
Yaris : http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs/data.aspx?model_id=1275&id=20824

I'm after peoples opinions and what would you have ? What do people think of the Yaris ?

Lux'd Glacier White R26
How old are you?

I personally would wait until you can afford the insurance on a MK1 / Mk2 172..They aren't going for much more than a 1.6 would.

Yaris...No!!

Tyson.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
id wait untill you ahve more no claims and then you can get sumit alot faster.... just think u spend all this on a car now then in 18 months time your bored and can afford to insure sumit "better" but o crap you spent all your money and cant afford to buy one:p

172 Cup
Get the Zetec-S mate, I've driven one lots of times as my friend has one. It would dick a Yaris and the gear box in the ZS.. well, let's just say you won't find a better one.

Just get used to the interior. I think it's quite nice to be honest. But they're a cracking car.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
bmh, I wouldn't worry too much on the insurance front. Look at it this way. The cost of insuring cars, IMHO is a small calculation of insurance group Vs value Vs age of vehicle Vs experience = premium.

Thankfully as the sportier cars become cheaper, i.e. mk1 172, this opens them up to you in terms of accessibility. Even though the car is group 16 or 17 insurance but the value of the car has depreciated enough to allow you to buy one.

Try it and you'll see. Get lots of quotes on different cars by using www.Confused.com

Megane 225 Cup
well its up to you.. personally id have the clio but the yaris is a nice car... i reckon the clio would be faster though

Consider c2 vtr lush car!

Turbos.
What's your budget?

My Mini Cooper is for sale, is better than a 172 apart from performance obviously. Group 9 insurance.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
fungusman said:

Are you Sh*tting Me??

I think the C2 vtr is the worst car I have ever driven, I had an hour test drive in one I took it back after 20 mins, it was that crap!

Based on new prices the 1.6 16v Clio was cheaper (£700) and had a lot more equipment than the C2 (fogs, air con, intel windscreen, remote central locking etc etc) and the 1.6 is easily the faster car! (proven as my mate was driving my 1.6 16v at the time).

I can recommend the 1.6 16v as I had mine for 2 years it was an awesome car I only switched becaused I got a great deal which cost me £300 to upgrade to same aged 172 with less miles.

I dont like the look of the Yaris but never driven one so cant comment.

BMW M135i
I'm 18, and I just can't stand this 1.2 anymore so I will be getting something else and not to be big headed but money will not be a problem 18 months down the line when I want something else, hell I be amazed if I can make it 12 months, with 2yr ncb the 172 becomes resonable enough to insure.

Maybe i'll give the zs another look but on paper its another second to 60 and is 5 mph slower top end so I can't see how i'll dick all over the yaris.
And, imo the yaris is very underrated, its a better car than you may think, it certainly did surprise me because I was in the same frame of mind until I went a saw one and drove one.

And as much as i'd like to get a 172 it just isn't economical on the insurance, and believe me i've looked around, the cheapest i've been quoted is about £3000 which when the others are about £800 I can't see the point in what is essentially pissing away 2 grand, now if I could get a quote around £2k I would seriously consider it. I've tried for the mk1 172 and mk2 and they just all come back with astromonical quotes.

BMW M135i
Mini Cooper, one word, overpriced. Don't get we wrong I learn't to drive in a one and they're a lovely car, but they're just way to expensive for what they are.

And Citroen, don't like them and the way they look, don't know why just don't.
Gonna have to go look at a 1.6 again methinks.

Am grateful for the input, keep it coming.

Last edited:
  Black 172 MK2
have you tryed insurance companys out of the make of car mags like adrian flux etc as when i looked for a quote for a mk2 172 the cheapest i got on confused.com was over £2k but AF did it for £1300 with some mods added in. that was at 20 with 2ync

172 Cup
Do not believe the book speeds on the Zetec-S, it is a quick car. And it certainly does not take 10+ seconds to get to 60mph. If you do your research on the Fiesta forums a lot of people have had it on the rollers and are pushing more than the book BHP at standard.

All is not what it seems. heh. I'd put my money on the ZS beating the Yaris pretty easily. The gearbox is just... *drool*, I want one in the Cup. :) Plus you can get a nice one for little more than £3.5k

Megane 225 Cup
Originally Posted by fungusman

Originally quoted by CrazyK

Are you Sh*tting Me??

I think the C2 vtr is the worst car I have ever driven, I had an hour test drive in one I took it back after 20 mins, it was that crap!

Based on new prices the 1.6 16v Clio was cheaper (£700) and had a lot more equipment than the C2 (fogs, air con, intel windscreen, remote central locking etc etc) and the 1.6 is easily the faster car! (proven as my mate was driving my 1.6 16v at the time).

I can recommend the 1.6 16v as I had mine for 2 years it was an awesome car I only switched becaused I got a great deal which cost me £300 to upgrade to same aged 172 with less miles.

I dont like the look of the Yaris but never driven one so cant comment.
I stand corrected :D

RB 200 Cup!
I'd say get a clio 1.6 16v - i absolutely love mine - v quick and beats most things off the lights (not that i rag mine about all the time - lol)

Turbos.
Mate if you're 18 then you should hang on i reckon. I sold my 1.216v at that age and regret doing it. It had coilovers and Clio Cup wheels, i was really happy with it. I didn't realise that until it was sold to another CS member though... Speed isn't everything.

BMW M135i
CDMullins said:
Civic sport???

Am going to look at one of these at the weekend, not sure about the gearstick but then I wasn't sure about the yaris dash either but ended up quick liking that. So we'll see.

cliobuyer said:
Mate if you're 18 then you should hang on i reckon. I sold my 1.216v at that age and regret doing it. It had coilovers and Clio Cup wheels, i was really happy with it. I didn't realise that until it was sold to another CS member though... Speed isn't everything.

To be honest I can never see me regretting selling this car and theres no way i'm keeping it, sure its been my first car and it'll always have a special place but no matter how much money I spend on it its still going to be a 1.2 and slow. Sure it could be quick round the twisties but whats the point when a straight comes up and it would be faster if you pushed it (exaggerating but the points there).
Also something that doesn't feel like you've got a anchor attached to the back with more than two people in would be nice.
I don't see the point in spending money on this car when it'll still not going to be a hot hatch and i'll never see the money in resail.
Everyones entitled to an opinion and i'm not jumping down your throat by any means it but I just can't see the point in keeping this car.

RB 200 Cup!
Seriously if you cant really afford a 172 etc get a 1.6 16v dynamique - quick and more gadgets than you can shake a cat at!!

Tim

Turbos.
lol.

That's fair enough. I guess i'm not overly concened with speed, as it's all relative. My 172 might be quick for a hatch but then i'd still look slow compared to a M3. I get a rush out of good handlings car much more than i would out of some straight line shove.... :)

Seat Ibiza?

I wouldn't personally go for the Yaris my brothers got one and I'm not that impressed the Clios better made and put together and seems made of a better standard bits.

Clio 172 mk2
cliobuyer said:
lol.

That's fair enough. I guess i'm not overly concened with speed, as it's all relative. My 172 might be quick for a hatch but then i'd still look slow compared to a M3. I get a rush out of good handlings car much more than i would out of some straight line shove.... :)

Agree...the 172/182 models are very engaging to drive which can easily make up for any losses in all out speed.

BMW M135i
The Ibiza has imo a horrible dash and the engine range is a little limited, I think i've looked at pretty much every smallish hatch and come back down to the yaris and the clio but I though i'd ask incase i'd missed any.

Am v.grateful for everyones opinions and ideas, i'm gonna have to have a good think about it really because they've both got there pros and cons, and at the moment i'm really torn.

Looking at this thread I also seem to have an ability to pick problems in pretty much anything :).

Last edited:
  Turbos.
Yeah don't get an Ibiza, my mum has a Polo and it's quite disconcerting to drive. The steering doesn't feel connected to the wheels, it's like one of those plastic steering wheels little kids have!

Personally i think you should spend your money on lap dances, like any other 18 year old would.

Dont laugh, but how about a Fabia vRS?

It's different, quick, insurance group 9 (I think), well built, comfortable, decent handling (and can be improved further with Eibach springs), and the tuning potential on the TDI engine is fantastic: 180bhp easy. Plus it does about 50mpg.

RB 200 Cup!
those fabias are alrigth actually - and like you say 50mpg is v. good.

however its still got the stigma with the Skoda name plus there are other slightly nicer looking cars about but something to think about

172 Cup
At 18 I'd say he wasn't in a position to afford a Fabia vRS, if he's looking at Yaris'. No offence mate. Cracking cars tho.

B-road bully
id say keep ur clio for a year or 2 more, u aint reali had ur clio that long n still fairly new, but its up 2 u..

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
What about a saxo vtr? group 7, wicked lil cars and cheap as chips. Ok they aint the fastest or best built cars, but they still look kool imo and handle pretty good!?

F/F Titanium 182
172/182 and Vees are awsome but insurance is bonkers if you're young! the fiesta zetec s is a good choice in the mid term, insurance is reasonable build quality is good and so is performance! in a year or two buy a 172/182 and the wait will be worth it!!!

What about a Corsa 1.8 SRi? Its a grp 9 insurance and has 123hp, you can pick them up cheap on autotrader!

2001 = 4kish and 2004 = 6kish

al

ST on the way...
Would highly reccomend a 1.6, good stepping stone between lower models and a 172/182.

i was only 18 when i got my ibiza mate, would recommend it! pretty quick for a second car aswell.. think i was £868 for my insurance

DSC00129.gif

DSC00225.gif

Arctic blue 182
I've got to echo pecan - really think you need to take a closer look at the zetec-s. It's more fun than any 1.6 has a right to be. It feels a lot faster than it is, it responds instantly to every tiny input. The steering feel is fantastic and the gearchange is like a rifle bolt. Interior wise the later model (51 plate onwards) looks better as it is black rather than light grey. It's still not a patch on the leather and suede of a 182 (if that's really important some owners fit the blue alcantara sparco buckets from a ford racing puma) but you won't have a more fun driving experience for such a small amount of money. The saxo VTR is in the same sort of bracket and is also cheap and great to drive. Fiesta wins for me on looks, driving position and reliability. It'll definitely keep you entertained while you build up enough NCB for a 182.
Agree the Yaris T-sport is a good looking machine but as a drivers car it's a bit of a dog in my opinion. Don't focus only on 0-60 times and bhp - it's possible to go very fast without having any fun at all (audi tt anyone?).

tiTTy & SV650
£1500 on a 205gti and learn how a car should handle.

If you want something newer and 'safer' pah kids these days... then zetec s is a great car.