ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car

Hi new to the site, i was wondering whether any of you might be able to answer a question...I currently own a ford focus 1.8 zetec and am looking to buy a performance car (hot hatch).

The cars i'm looking at are as follows:

Seat leon cupra r

Honda Civic type r

And odviously Renault Clio 182

I haven't been in the civic type r or the clio yet. In fact the nearest i've got in sitting in a trophy i went to press the accelerator and kicked the dash lol. I've happen to have been driven around a track in a LCR and i thought it was brillaint to be honest.

Really the question i want to ask you is which one you think is best and mainly the strong points of the clio. I've asked this question on a few forums and it's always the same biast opinion (my cars the best lol). The civic people said it, and so have the leon. But what i've learn't are the strong and weak points of each car. If you have happened to have drove any of these cars i would also like to know what you have thought.

Sorry about the long post can't wait to hear from you all.

Cheers Drunken Master

Ford Fiesta
you are posting on a clio forum so suppose you know what the answer is going to be.. but read this months EVO mag to be sure ;)

welcome btw.
Liam

MINI JCW
The clios strong points are that its as fast as the other two until silly speeds (talking 100mph plus), its cheap and its well equipped.

The downside is that becuase its cheap the build quality isnt brilliant although its not as bad as some say and the dealers are rubbish

Forgot to mention the handling is s**t hot on the clio and I doubt on a twisty road you could have as much fun in the other two as you could in the 182

Cant real lycomment on the other two as I havent been in them and anything I did say would be from a magazine or comments from on here

Last edited:
  1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
i drive both the type r and the 182. 182 is a much better car tbh.
the only 2 things that the type r comes out on top is the build quality and the gears. everythin else the 182 excells in. especially equipment and value for money. also i feel the 182 handles better as its got a smaller wheelbase and its a looooottttttt more fun. the type r seems to me to be much more cruising material. but you dont know unless you drive them all as its down to personal opinion.

EDIT : soz meant to put 182 and not type r being the better choice

Last edited:

Ad

MK2 FRS
Leon Cupra R.

I have driven all three and owned an LCR, 172&182. The RSclio has a fun factor that the LCR didnt match, the clios nimble and a little bit more raw in terms of driving. The clio is cheaper to run (hence why I returned). Parts and fuel are significantly more expensive on th LCR.
The LCR has a great engine and gearbox. The build quality is superb.

Overall I would pick the LCR, but its in a different price bracket in terms of cost new and running costs to the clio. The Honda was a nice drive, but the clio and LCR where better for me anyway.

197-I love!!!
I had an Ibiza Cupra R which was great-Test drove a Leon Cupra which was good -Then I test drove The Civic Type R-fast but as I have said before absolutely no character-So that's why I ended up with The 182 which I love!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If you like a car that only works properly past 6K get the Type R! If you want a Clio, make sure you get the cup suspension (even better handling).

If you want a real man's car, get the 172 cup! ;)

**Runs and hides!**

MINI JCW
donnyo said:
If you like a car that only works properly past 6K get the Type R! If you want a Clio, make sure you get the cup suspension (even better handling).

If you want a real man's car, get the 172 cup! ;)

**Runs and hides!**

I think you mean if you want a cheap Renaultsport Clio get the 172 cup if you want a more flashy one get the 182!

**runs and hides!**

Street Triple R
I had a Clio Cup until recently and i have to say it was a fantastic car to drive and a great car to own, however the one downside i found was that the dealers are absolutely completely and utterly useless/rude/incompetent, just hopeless, by far the worst ive ever dealt with....and ive owned peugeots before!

Hi, been weighing up my options. Still going to go through with the test drives. Lets just say i think it might have to be the CTR for reliability looks and space. Don't think the clio's going to be roomy enough. Plus the dealer performance car dealer said for clio was problably the worst car out of the lot :S. I'm really not sure now....

ITR UKDC2
all are great cars to own...........i changed from the clio 172 to the LCR because i wanted something more roomy and with a turbo.

had a go in a type r but was not my cup of tea

MAYBE you should look at ITR

But as adtmits said different price bracket all together!!

Renault Clio 16v
Had a 172 then got a RS Focus, all I can say is look at what you've got to spend?? My RS was mental and you can pick them up for £13K now!!

Also my wife drives a vauxhall vx220 which has an ITG I/K and a sports exhaust which sounds awesome with a 0-60 in 5 seconds flat!! you can buy one of these with low miles for 12K!!!!

Sold my RS to part fund a house extension and have regretted it ever since!! Luckily if I have a speed rush I use the wife's car and virtually sod all can keep up with it, never mind the fact it handles like a go cart!!

Andy:cool:

ITR UKDC2
AndyH16VClio said:
Had a 172 then got a RS Focus, all I can say is look at what you've got to spend?? My RS was mental and you can pick them up for £13K now!!

Also my wife drives a vauxhall vx220 which has an ITG I/K and a sports exhaust which sounds awesome with a 0-60 in 5 seconds flat!! you can buy one of these with low miles for 12K!!!!

Sold my RS to part fund a house extension and have regretted it ever since!! Luckily if I have a speed rush I use the wife's car and virtually sod all can keep up with it, never mind the fact it handles like a go cart!!

Andy:cool:

think thats what my next car might be mate.........Focus RS but i dont think there will be THAT much difference in strate line speed and 0-60 as my LCR.

Renault Clio 16v
Don't even bother flooring it in 1st & 2nd in the wet as you won't go any where!! If you fit a bailey dump valve expect it to cut out now and again when at traffic lights but I must say a seriously class car!

Andy

Renault Clio 16v
Sound round corners, just like any car it depends how you drive it!! Drive the car to its limits and you'll end up in a field according to Clarkson but I never had any probs with it!! The boot rattles because of the hard suspension but if you put some gaffer tape round the silver boot pin it stops the rattle!! found this out after I sold mine, had it in fords 3 times and they said theres nothing wrong with it which is true!!

MPG isn't the best around 25!! again depends how you drive it!!

Gonna get another when my house extension has been built!!

One good thing is the prices are quite reasonable now as there 3 years old so 15K buys you 7k miler!!

Andy

Ad

MK2 FRS
trailerparktrev said:
An RS Focus for 13 grand??? I don't think..... they're stuck and will stay around the 16,000 - 17,000 mark

More like 14-15k mate. One 13k last week with 60k on clock.

Renault Clio 16v
Trailer park

Check the Auto Trader!!! private sellers are selling them for 14k with under 20k on the clock which means bargaining teritory!!! I should know, I know all about them!!

Renault Clio 16v
14k buys you an 18k miler at a Renault garage on Autotrader now!!

New ST now out which means prices will soften!!

Go and buy one off a ford dealer and you'll pay through the nose with a crap part ex!!

Last edited: