ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New DSLR needed :(

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
what a nightmare.

this weekend i have been down at the british drift championships round 2 at Norfolk Area.
norfolk is hell for cameras as its so dusty but apparently mine didnt even want to give it a go. was working all ok on thusday night, come froday morning... nothing.. not even a hint of life.

not the battry, put a new one in.. noting tried one that was in my mates camera.. nothing.

luckly my friend one of the drifted photographers had a spare 5d mk2 ... like you do.. £2k + worth of body spare haha.
so i amanaged to sucsessfully shoot the eventy and also fall in love with a camera i cannot afford.

so now im looking for a new body anyone got any opinions on either the 7d or the 60d?

budget? well i dont really have ione because i cant really afford one but i also cannot afford not to replace it... catch 22

Last edited:
  Bus w**ker
The best you can afford, especially if it's for paying work.

Sadly if you have no budget you could be looking at this...

p1001435_1271341054_hec080l_1.jpg

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
atm its iphone 4 to the rescue lol.. although im not sure id be taken too seriously turning up with a hello kitty one haha..

7D - without a doubt

Got one 2 months ago - was shooting the drifting at mallory park with it on Saturday

The autofocus system is out of this world. Nothing else touches it. If you're doing motorsports it's perfect!

7D - without a doubt

Got one 2 months ago - was shooting the drifting at mallory park with it on Saturday

The autofocus system is out of this world. Nothing else touches it. If you're doing motorsports it's perfect!

Aside from a 1D Mk III / IV or Nikon equivalent ;)

In any case having recently upgraded to the 7D I can also highly recommend it, feels like a significant upgrade from my trusty (if tempremental) 40D.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
id really love the 5d i was using but unless i somehow come into money over night i wont be getting it lol

Mk2 ph1 clio
But would you need full frame for motorsport? not to mention the 5D's focus isnt as fast as the 7D or 1D Series.

IMO go for the 7D you wont regret it.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
probably dont no tbh i just liked it.. although i havnt seen the pics yet so they could be a load of toss.

i think its going to be the 7d if i can find someone that hasd it in stock as both jessops and warehouse express have them on back order :(

2.2 bar shed.
7D dumps on all for autofocus except the 1DxMkXX. I might be interested in selling mine maybe...

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
we will see how much money i can raise over the next week or so and go from there.

just the wrong time for this to happen with everything else thats wanting my monies

Oil Burner
The 7d is a decent camera. Although it is a crop sensor, good because of the effect of giving you longer focal lengths, however you dont get the lovely shallow DOF of a larger sensor.

I would look at the 1dmk3 as another option. ISO wise its perhaps a tad behind the 7d, but only above 2500. AF speed is faster. But most importantly they feel lovely to use, built like a tank and have a 1.3 crop sensor that gives a shallower DOF than a 1.6 crop. Also the viewfinders on the 1d are amazing and make looking down a 7d's viewfinder like looking down a tunnel.

1d's are coming down in price now, you can pick one up for about £1200 if you shop about.

Alternatively i may sell my 50d soon, if your after a low mileage 50d. Not sure what the going rate for a used one is, but i would sell it for a fair price.

You'll be struggling to get new bodies after the floods wiped out most of the canon/nikon factories :(

IMO you don't want full frame for track photography - you want the reach of crop

Full frame is lovely for portraits. I use a 5d MkII and 7d loads - the 7d's autofocus system pisses on everything else on the market in my opinion. I get a 99% keep rate from it
The 5d is slow to focus but for image quality it's unbeatable

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
The 7d is a decent camera. Although it is a crop sensor, good because of the effect of giving you longer focal lengths, however you dont get the lovely shallow DOF of a larger sensor.

I would look at the 1dmk3 as another option. ISO wise its perhaps a tad behind the 7d, but only above 2500. AF speed is faster. But most importantly they feel lovely to use, built like a tank and have a 1.3 crop sensor that gives a shallower DOF than a 1.6 crop. Also the viewfinders on the 1d are amazing and make looking down a 7d's viewfinder like looking down a tunnel.

Nick I wouldnt agree on the high ISO tbh, shooting with people on 7Ds my mkIII has much more sustainable image quality at the higher isos 32-6400. The 7D having a ton of pixels crammed onto a tiny sensor doesnt help it here.

Oil Burner
You'll be struggling to get new bodies after the floods wiped out most of the canon/nikon factories :(

IMO you don't want full frame for track photography - you want the reach of crop

Full frame is lovely for portraits. I use a 5d MkII and 7d loads - the 7d's autofocus system pisses on everything else on the market in my opinion. I get a 99% keep rate from it
The 5d is slow to focus but for image quality it's unbeatable

Drift requires surprisingly little focal length, so in that sense a crop sensor is of less significance.

You may be surprised how many motorsports togs use full frame. Bare in mind that Nikon only do 1.5 and 1.0 crop cameras. And most of their 1.5 crop cameras are max prosumer models (so not so hot on the AF). Also the likes of Darren Heath use 1dS and 1d's as the shallow DOF is a huge part of their pits and paddock images. However you are right about the 5D's AF. But you do make up for that in ISO performance.

Nick I wouldnt agree on the high ISO tbh, shooting with people on 7Ds my mkIII has much more sustainable image quality at the higher isos 32-6400. The 7D having a ton of pixels crammed onto a tiny sensor doesnt help it here.

We will have to agree to disagree mate, Having used a 7D for some football under flood lights i was pretty impressed by it, especially for a crop sensor, it was certainly beating my mk3 side by side on the day. Maybe my mk3 is knackered lol

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well tbh its looking like a 60d as due to the mess in japan all 5d and 7d models are on back order

Cupra
Or buy a second hand 1DII to tide you over, then sell it at no loss in a couple of months when the 7 is back in stock.

Wider is nice but boasting about auto-focus and then posting a soft image is fail! Lol.

Soft my arse lol - you try doing better at 1/100th hand held :p
Also the focus is actually on if you view it at full size but the bloody drift cars vibrate like mad
Hard to find a balance between getting some movement in the shot with a slower shutter speed - and keeping the car looking crisp

You can shoot at 1/200th and get a nice crisp image - but the car might as well be parked on track for all anyone knows

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive gone with a 50D , only a slight upgrade but was a decent price and i really cant afford to be throwing so much money at a camera atm. not untill the golf is finished.