ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New laptop, recommendations welcome

SLK 350
Replacing my Vaio FZ31Z (well, I'm keeping it, but it stays on a desk), for a new portable. The failings of this one basically amount to diabolical battery life, buggy touchpad and it's too big (15.4) and heavy to lug around.

I do like Vaio laptops, so am weighing up the Z21, and the TT11 range for portable use - both have great battery life. Also considered Samsung X range, Dell Adama and Lenovo X301, but keep coming back to the Vaio.

Has anybody used (or better still owned) the TT/Z21 laptops? Not interested in power really, just want something you can be productive and mobile on, unlike my 901 Netbook.

Any other recommendations (not interested in Macbooks)?

Scirocco GT 2.0
I really, really, don't see the point in spending that much cash on a laptop, especially as some of them don't even have blu-ray! but if that's what will make you happy go for Dell or Sony (I swear I saw one with the Blu-Ray burner somewhere)

Last edited:
  SLK 350
My FZ31Z has a BD-RW drive, used it precisely once to watch a film. I have a PS3 for that, so the only media use this gets is streaming things via my PS3. Beisdes BD-R is still too expensive for my liking.

For the record, I'm not spending my own money... business perk as we're not getting bonuses this year, so it's my perogative to spend good money ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It's facking small :p

Not as powerful as my T500 (use that as my main PC/laptop at work)

The X301 I have has an SSD, so it's quite speedy..

The screen is very very shiny

ValverInBits
I've just got a Samsung Q210 with Nvidia graphics and 4gig. Absolutely brilliant, except for the fact it's sooo shiney you can't keep clean. 12.1 inch, it's awesome.

None :(
Buy Alienware. I did, cost a packet, but nearly 2 years later, still beats the pants off most laptops. SSD hdd, BR, native 1080p res, 1gb sli gfx, freeview, 2.1 speaker setup, 7.1 DD with optical out, 2nd internal hdd, slim, build quality best ive ever seen on a laptop yet. (im a geek) You get what you pay for.

Once you go SSD you wont want to go back ;)

Alienware M9750 (but theres newer models now)

Better than yours. C*nt.
But the Alienware are huge. He wants a portable. They also have awful graphics life. Which is made worse by a £5000 price tag!

You considered the Dell Latitudes? I really quite like the E4300 (portable) and E4200 (ultraportable) laptops. Just had a Lenovo X301 at work, but wasn't massively impressed.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i tihnk i've got a good suggestion for you, dell xps 13 or dell xps 16.

plays games, full 1080p video, solid state hdd, slot loading blue ray, bout £1k look the balls and pretty much are, look into it.

SLK 350
Thanks Glos182, but as Mike rightly pointed out I was a portable business laptop. Soon gets boring carrying a 5LB laptop around London/travels.

Mile, I heard the Dell holds the record for battery life IIRC? I'll check them out tho I'll be honest I'm a snob.

Cheers for the suggestions!

Better than yours. C*nt.
I had a Dell Latitude D630 ATG (essentially a heavy D630 with a couple of flashy lights shining on the keyboard) and it lasted 9 hours actually working, and separately 16 hours just running RDP over 3G.

TBH, the E-series Latitudes are possibly the nicest business laptops I've ever seen - short of spending a fortune on a Sony/Apple which are just pretty. They also rate very well in the longevity department as they're metal, and to top that off their support is much better than the old schoolers will have you believe - if it's poorly, phone India, an engineer turns up the next day with a bit and fixes it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
TBH, the E-series Latitudes are possibly the nicest business laptops I've ever seen - short of spending a fortune on a Sony/Apple which are just pretty. They also rate very well in the longevity department as they're metal, and to top that off their support is much better than the old schoolers will have you believe - if it's poorly, phone India, an engineer turns up the next day with a bit and fixes it.

Have to agree with you on this one, i'm just about to submit an order to Dell for some more E6500's with HSDPA/3G and 9 cell's. My only gripe is the E series is not backwards compatible with the D series port replicators.. ack well.

I don't like the fact I need to speak to India, but to be honest the have been spot on and even laptops that didn't have warranty they sent out an engineer with replacements bits next day FOC as a good will gesture.