ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to ClioSport - Question about my 172 non cup

Seismic

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Sport 172
Hi to all.

Bought my 2001 172 in Feb and have been busy changing lots of parts, brakes,wheel bearings, suspension and wishbones etc. All genuine standard bits and fitted by my mate who works for Renault. Cam belt and dephaser were changed in September 2018 receipt provided.

Clutch was changed 3 weeks ago, Valeo clutch kit, as I thought the release bearing was making a noise. Seems to have come back already. When I press the clutch in it makes a slight noise and when released at low speeds seems to make a whirring and scraping type sound when accelerating slowly but goes away when I ease off or push the clutch in. At higher speeds I can't hear it as the car is nice and noisy. Just wondering if this could be the release bearing again or a gearbox issue.

Car drives great and revs to 7k easily. No radio in the car yet so I can hear every little noise. Any advice/help would be great.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Did you replace the clutch yourself? If not then did you see the old parts the garage removed with your own eyes?

If you did then it's more than likely a gearbox issue as they're made from spit and old bog paper😂

Seismic

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Sport 172
Did you replace the clutch yourself? If not then did you see the old parts the garage removed with your own eyes?

If you did then it's more than likely a gearbox issue as they're made from spit and old bog paper😂
Hi YorkshireKyle,

Just getting used to the forums, hope I'm replying the right way.

Yeah my mate and I did it, old clutch wasn't too bad but release bearing was knackered. Changed the gearbox oil as well, no metal bits in the old oil.

Taking it to my usual garage next week to check it out properly. Owner used to have a Clio Sport and knows the usual problems. Didn't realise the boxes were fragile, but it has done 120k miles.

If it is the box, take out out and get it refurbed? I'm down in West Wales so if anyone knows of a good gearbox guy please let me know. Love the car so want to keep it going.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Hi YorkshireKyle,

Just getting used to the forums, hope I'm replying the right way.

Yeah my mate and I did it, old clutch wasn't too bad but release bearing was knackered. Changed the gearbox oil as well, no metal bits in the old oil.

Taking it to my usual garage next week to check it out properly. Owner used to have a Clio Sport and knows the usual problems. Didn't realise the boxes were fragile, but it has done 120k miles.

If it is the box, take out out and get it refurbed? I'm down in West Wales so if anyone knows of a good gearbox guy please let me know. Love the car so want to keep it going.
Yeah not a problem mate, you're replying the right way anyway. It took me a week or so to wrap my head around it😂

They can fail at anytime, even the wrong oil can make them fail prematurely because it's a Renault and they're picky buggers!😂

Any good gearbox place will refurb a box for you or you could pick up a second hand good box and sling it on

Seismic

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Sport 172
Yeah not a problem mate, you're replying the right way anyway. It took me a week or so to wrap my head around it😂

They can fail at anytime, even the wrong oil can make them fail prematurely because it's a Renault and they're picky buggers!😂

Any good gearbox place will refurb a box for you or you could pick up a second hand good box and sling it on
Thanks for the reply, I'll see what happens next week.

Is it worth me becoming a full member of the club? Can't see how much it costs.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply, I'll see what happens next week.

Is it worth me becoming a full member of the club? Can't see how much it costs.
Definitely mate, the guides on here are second to none and worth every penny. Its £13 for the year of membership plus you get a new member pack with a few bits in there too. Plus access to sell and buy things from marketplace and discount for certain traders that dont usually offer much or any discount

The shop is in maintenance at the moment but @Nik could probably give you more info about that 🙂

Seismic

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Sport 172
Definitely mate, the guides on here are second to none and worth every penny. Its £13 for the year of membership plus you get a new member pack with a few bits in there too. Plus access to sell and buy things from marketplace and discount for certain traders that dont usually offer much or any discount

The shop is in maintenance at the moment but @Nik could probably give you more info about that 🙂
Cheers. I'll sign up on the weekend.

Thanks for your help.:)

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome to the forum m8. If it does turn out to be the box at fault then NorthLoopCup on here is your man. He does all the race and track boys gearboxes aswell as road going.

Did you grease the release bearing when you put it in and are you sure they were genuine bits?

Seismic

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Sport 172
Could also be bearings in the gearbox at 120k
Hi,

Thanks, really useful info available, will sign up as a full member tomorrow.

Yeah it was a genuine valeo clutch and bearing. My mate who fitted it said the bearing was greased but I didn't actually see it myself. Having the car checked out next week to discover which part is failing! If the box is gone I'll get a new release bearing as well.

Thanks for the info about NorthLoopCup, fingers crossed I won't have to use his services but from the noise and what I have read on the forums I probably will.😢

Seismic

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Sport 172
Hi all,

Just to finish this I took the car to my mate who has had a number of Sports and is chief mechanic at a Renault dealership. Basically the gearbox was destroying itself. Luckily he had an old 172 write off with 30k on the clock, took the box from this car and put it in mine. Box was fully checked out before fitting. He also checked the clutch, driveshafts etc. Car has been transformed - no strange noises anymore. So with a new clutch 3 months ago and a working box should be ok for a while I hope. Also had my old box back which I will have refurbed next year when I have some spare cash. All for a very good price.:D

A warning to new members if your car makes strange grinding noises which seem to come from the nearside get your box checked out asap.