ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to photography... Opinions on camera

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you really want to get into it, just go with a xxxD Canon (I still highly rate the 450d as an ace starter camera), or the Nikon equivalent - go to Jessops and try them out, don't ask CS what is best for you.

If you want to spend £100, and have a nice all round camera, then go for it, just try not to be disappointed when you want to upgrade the first time you take a photo at night :rasp:

LOL. I thought my eyes were deceiving me and that Tigger had finally seen sense, but I spotted the sneeky edit ;)

RB 182
its more the fact that this was up for sale for £100 at my work so thought for the price may be a good start but apparently maybe not :L

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Are you any good with a camera already ? Good eye for a photo, composition etc etc ...

If yes, then go with a D-SLR and get addicted.

If no, then buy that for £100, use it for a month, 6 months, a year, get your eye in, see if you want to continue or see if it's in the same place you left it when you first got it home .. then sell it... if its less than half price now, some idiot on eBay will buy it later for more ! Maybe just before Xmas ? ;)

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Im not very clue'd up on photography and just started getting into it. I was prepared to spend around the £500 mark for all the gear to get me started. Off i went to jessops for a play with various cameras, I deliberatly never took money so i could have a think and no impulse buy.

First question the lad asked me was "are you after a cam with HD vid capability?" I said no as i have a tidy little handycam thing. He pointed out the sony aplha series, some have it and some dont and the price reflects this. I had originally went in for a nikon. So i had a good play with diff cams and I genuinely liked the sony. So i thought about it, went home and read reviews etc and opted for the A390. For me, and in my opinion I really like it, really simple to use and has a guide that comes up on the screen when you change modes (which helps me).

With the help of some guides on here I'm starting to get to grips with it all and really like my buy. I paid £400 for the cam with an 18-70mm lens, bag, uv filter and 4gb ultra SD card. Was on a deal at the time iirc.

02 Clio 172
I had the predecessor to this fujifilm model and as a starter it wasn't bad. Being a 'bridge' you get the look and feel of an SLR with the various adjustable settings but still compact enough to carry round every day. I would suggest that low light level shooting you will probably have problems with so thats where a DSLR comes into play....You got to think am I going to be doing enough photography to justify an SLR or am I just looking for a slightly more upmarket compact to have a bit of fun with?