ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Toy, L Content

Oil Burner
Received my new Lens Today, I cant bloody wait to try it! :)

Its a Canon 300mm F2.8 Non IS (the old version)

Its actually not as heavy as i expected, not a whole lot more than the 100-300 F4.

672124680_MVFHo-L.jpg

Its the start of me changing my gear around.

Im getting a Second 40d (the current one will probably die soon)

Then a 70-200 F4 to go on that.

Its going to be weird moving to a prime from Such a great Zoom Lens. Lets just hope the results are worth it.

I will be using it for work this Saturday, (Football, Hockey or Rugby) so i can have a go then.

On a side note, here is a few from last weeks Hockey with the Old Lens:

watermark2.php

watermark2.php

watermark2.php

Not a good shot this one , but i find it an amusing shot

watermark2.php

Anyway, thats the end of my random post for today,

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Having seen geordiecliodriver's bird photos with his 300mm f/4 L (Think that's what it is!) I can safely say you'll be mega impressed with your new lens Nick! I'm still torn between a 300mm and a 100-400mm as a long telephoto, fortunately I can't afford either. :)

Nice work with the hockey shots, strange to see something other than motorsport, not used to it!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
that is schwwweeeeeeeeetttttt, your bike pics are always awesome so with that they should be even better.
im properly jealous lol im still rocking the 10d :)

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
I think they both are a crap lens. (You can pass it to me) ;)
*Jealousy Big Time* haha

Great stuff, once you've had 300 2.8 you never go back :) That and an 80-200 is pretty much the perfect motorsport setup imo, as much as I love my 120-300 I do miss the days of my 300 f4 and 80-200 2.8.

Can't wait to see how you get on with it, I loved having a long prime but some people hate it.

Mk2 ph1 clio
Having seen geordiecliodriver's bird photos with his 300mm f/4 L (Think that's what it is!) I can safely say you'll be mega impressed with your new lens Nick! I'm still torn between a 300mm and a 100-400mm as a long telephoto, fortunately I can't afford either. :)

Nice work with the hockey shots, strange to see something other than motorsport, not used to it!

I use mine for sport too, i shoot wildlife simply for the detail you can get out of the 8mp with this L lens.

As said mines the F4 version, couldnt justify the 2.8 price at the time, and it's superb. Fast focusing and a nice focal length to not miss having a zoom. I used to have a 70-300 on the camera at all times... i rarely use that now.

The last 30-40 photos on my flickr are taken with the 300 f4 with either a 1D mk2 or 20D and i cant fault the results.

www.flickr.com/geordieclio

Oil Burner
Nice purchase! I look forward to seeing the results. 7D to go with it too at some stage? ;)

Haha, if only, a 2nd 40d is the most i can strech to atm.

GeordieClioDriver,

Those shots look stunning. I cant wait for a nice day to use the lens.

Chris,

Im not sure how im going to get on with the prime, we will see though. You best get that Sigma sorted, sounds like its not helping with your lack of interest in photography atm.

Im really looking forward to britcar at Brands, should be a great chance to try out all the new kit. Plus ive had some ideas for places to take cool shots since last year.

Oil Burner
Well i took the Lens out today for the first time when i went shooting, my mate had his springer (dog) who i have photographed to hell previously (photogenic little sod too)

In all honesty i was a little disappointed with the hit rate of the lens. no higher than the previous lens, maybe even lower. However as with the last lens it autofocuses much more accurately at slightly lower than its maximum aperture (ontop of which the greater depth of field helps hide a slightly OOF shot)

So im still learning the lens, the low aperture and shallow depth of field is amazing. Love being able to isolate the subject so much better.

I suspect one of the reasons that my keeper rate was lower was the added difficulty of keeping the subject framed, panning a dog with 300mm is not easy! Especially a springer.

Here are a few of the photos from today:

1. Shooting into the sun, exactly what you shouldnt do, but i liked the sunset/backlit effect.

674261570_FhMNd-L.jpg

2. Shooting higher shutter speeds i liked the dirt flying on this one

674258815_B9Nou-L.jpg

3. Benson with some nice golden sunset lighting

674260391_rd9rd-L.jpg

4. Being a poser

674263564_hxdRP-L.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
I found the first time I went out with the 70-200mm I was a bit disappointed, but I've since come to love it. I think some lenses are harder to get used to than others. Also, I've tried taking moving photos of my cat and tbh, animals do not make good things to try and practice with! Motorsport and general sport is so much more predictable. If you can get it right with moving animals, you can get it right with most things I'd say.

I love those photos though, especially the third one. :)

Oil Burner
Well after doing Rugby and Football on Saturday i was again a little disapointed, when i got home i did a focus test and it looks to be back focusing by a small amount. Ive not borrowed a mates 50d (that has the ability to adjust the front/back focus on the body) and will be heading to brands tonight hopefully.

I also got intouch with the seller who said he had adjusted +8 for back focusing.

If it turns out to be a focus issue i will just get the lens/body calibrated and hopefully all will be well.

On another note, Football and Rugby was a massive learning curve.

Only having 40 mins on each game (had to cover 2 in 90 mins, plus a 5 min drive) it was interesting.

Here are a few of the ones that did pass.

watermark2.php

watermark2.php

watermark2.php

watermark2.php

watermark2.php

Ian

Focus TDCi
Nice shots Nick, like the first and last the most.

I had the same problem myself with my nifty fifty. Used it with AF for some portraits and judging by the results it seems to be focusing slightly in front of where I want. It's easy enough to sort like you say, but a pain nonetheless. :)