ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie clutch problem

Hey guys,
A few weeks ago I got my first car (ph1 1.4 alize) and my step dad test drove it, took it home, etc. he said no problems drives fine. I passed my test 2 days ago, and now have been moving it in and out of the garage to clean it and change the speakers. A friend of mine and my cousin both had the chance to drive it, and both have said my clutch is ridiculously tight - either off, or on. No room for any clutch control. To me, every car is different and I dont have the experience to know otherwise, all I can notice is a good inch or so of free play when you depress the pedal.

Any opinions before i get it checked out?

Put the handbrake on, stick it in second gear and slowly lift the clutch pedal.

The closer to the top of the pedal's travel the clutch starts to bite, and the car wants to move, the more worn your clutch is. If the car want to move straight away, you fresher your clutch is.

Put the handbrake on, stick it in second gear and slowly lift the clutch pedal.

The closer to the top of the pedal's travel the clutch starts to bite, and the car wants to move, the more worn your clutch is. If the car want to move straight away, you fresher your clutch is.

Thats not true a clutch can wear either way...

Well after actually learning how to drive properly (debatable), I got used to it. Like you would in any other car.

...Until, Ive realised the bite point has moved practically to the top of the pedal. I'll take a guess at a clutch cable adjustment if I'm lucky, if not it'll be pressure plates. I have managed to put 10k on her since though :D

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
In all honesty, clio clutches are pretty stiff to be fair compared to other cars, i do like it personally. As long as your clutch biting point isnt literally right on the top of the pedal, or soon as you lift the pedal from the deck it bites, it should be okay, usually find a good clutch starts to bite 3 quarters of the way up, & as you keep lifting your foot the cars pulling away.

Yeah I enjoy the tougher clutch too, I drove my mates Lupo and it didnt feel connected to anything.

But unfortunately, the bite is literally right at the top. Time for a trip to Mr. Clutch I think.

FF Clio 182
My clutch on my 1.2 is practically at the top and has been for about 10,000k so yeah it's a clio thing. As long as it don't slip what's the problem :)

So today, after work I was picking my sister up late from college, and was parked for about 15 minutes (with a warm engine) on a very slight incline.

Go to start the car, get the usual lights disco, put the clutch down to go into first, and the car stalls. Oh. this proceeds to happen twice more.
Never had this before, have my plates worn that thin its causing the car to stall without even putting it in gear? or is it a sensor? (Is it ECU that controls that side of things? Literally no clue.)

Any advice would help here.

not sure if it'll help any but worth a check if you haven't already - in my fiesta the clutch was playing silly buggers because one of the hydraulic cylinders had broken and the brake/clutch fluid was leaking out. Worth checking yours in case it needs a top-up!
It didnt show any lights normally, the Brake system light would come on only when you went round a hard corner and even then would only flicker a little, probably due to the liquid juusssst sloshing below a sensor or something.

Like i said, might not apply but worth a check! New fluid/cylinders is already cheaper than a new clutch!