ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie greetings - I now have the racing bug - the £5k track challenge!?

Hello, Hello!

So, I went out to Brands Hatch last Thursday in the Track Obsession Clio 197 (attached picture) for the day with a few friends -- let me just tell you this -- I am now hooked on track driving, after only one session. It has often been said that, "when you know, you know", which is very apt for my current situation.

The TO Clio 197 was great fun and I have decided that I am going to pick one up and get ready for the track. From reading online, any time a beginner car is sought the Clio always comes up as a strong recommendation. I have a couple of well powered road cars, so I need something that isn't underpowered for the track. It would be a bummer to get to the track with a nice wafty ride only to end up in something that doesn't serve a straight too well.

With that in mind, i've decided to play a bit of a game... what can I get ready for the track for a maximum budget of £5k.

The initial purchase would need to cover:

* Car - Clio197 (Probably year 2006/07)
* Seats + Harness
* Brake lines
* Brake discs + pads
* Heat management

Later upgrades would include
* Second set wheels for slicks (I like the sound of 18 inchers..)
* Good spring setup (Possibly coilovers)

What do people think of this plan? Achievable..? I have no problem buying some preowned seats/harness if required, but I see you can get a pair of Corbeau entry level (non FIA) for about £450/500.

Please keep in mind, that the previous paragraphs might have made things sound like I know what I am talking about.. I am a complete newbie with a lot to learn.. I know verrrry little right now
smile.png

In any case.. hello and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Regards
Conor

Attachments

• IMG_20191114_073458.jpg
    IMG_20191114_073458.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot 2019-11-15 at 10.17.33.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-15 at 10.17.33.png
    997.4 KB · Views: 132
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-11-14 at 11.15.00.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-14 at 11.15.00.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 141
My advise buy one already built. With £5k you'll get a decent track spec 197 with all the bits you've mentioned and more.

Regarding slicks, if you're new to track then probably best to go with a semi slick tyre to learn a bit of craft as a full slick will break away much more quickly leaving you going backwards into the Aramco if you dont yet have the skill to catch it.

My advise buy one already built. With £5k you'll get a decent track spec 197 with all the bits you've mentioned and more.

Regarding slicks, if you're new to track then probably best to go with a semi slick tyre to learn a bit of craft as a full slick will break away much more quickly leaving you going backwards into the Aramco if you dont yet have the skill to catch it.

As above^
You can get a lot for your money in buying a modified one

Thanks guys.. the primary reason I wanted to convert a "virgin" car, was because I would know it's not been ragged about a track. With a pre-spec'd car you are buying one that has been ragged and may have issues, or a shorter lifespan? Is that not a valid concern?

What is the story with mileage by the way.. how many miles can a 197 do on the track, before needing a rebuild or replaced engine?

If I can be confident of getting a decent engine, my preference would certainly be to buy an already track ready car, fwiw.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks guys.. the primary reason I wanted to convert a "virgin" car, was because I would know it's not been ragged about a track. With a pre-spec'd car you are buying one that has been ragged and may have issues, or a shorter lifespan? Is that not a valid concern?
Equally as much worry buying a car that's only seen road use IMO. For all you know the previous owner may have left for work in the morning and ragged the tits off a stone cold engine daily.

At least a track car owned by an enthusiast may have had a degree of mechanical sympathy.

Equally as much worry buying a car that's only seen road use IMO. For all you know the previous owner may have left for work in the morning and ragged the tits off a stone cold engine daily.

At least a track car owned by an enthusiast may have had a degree of mechanical sympathy.

That's true and that has also gone through my head.. I suppose considering the above.. a prepared track car probably seems the way to go..

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
definstely go pre prepped if you can, get a lot more bang for your buck and stuff is less likely to need replacing.

as for mileage, my daily car I use on track occasionally when the dedicated track car isn't ready and that's on 206k now, original engine and box.

Why a 197? For 5k you can get a very well specd 182/172. That's where my money would be going, consumables are cheaper too.

You list heat management, but why?

18 inchers? forget that idea. Smaller wheels the better for track. 172/182s run 15s on track. Much lighter and cheaper tyres.

A stripped out car with buckets, harnesses, good pads, GOOD coilovers and semi slicks is hard to beat around a circuit.

So a quick update here...

I ended up buying a this 172 from another member on here. It is well spec'd for track and has a spare set of wheels so I am happy.

Performance wise, I will be keeping it as is for 12 months, so I can focus on my driving skills.

Looking forward to getting involved in this community... I would also love to go to the festival in July, but I have a wedding in the family then :)

Also.. please don't mock me for the state of the paint.. I forgot to wipe off the aqua wax lol.

IMG_20200129_163939.jpg
IMG_20200129_163955.jpg

Good work. I loved my partially track prepared Clio 182 on track.

What’s the spec?

Yes, I am really looking forward to getting it out on track.

Funnily enough, I came across a friend of the owner previous to the seller to me. They said the car was part-ex'd in January 2019 as the gearbox was gone.. So, I would surmise that is when the gearbox refurb was done, as per the spec mentioned below.

I don't plan on doing much to it performance wise as I want to drive it how it is and see what needs improving. I may very well be happy to leave it as it.

The main things I want to cover off are removing any rattles from it. Rear boot area and the exhaust heat shield along with some lacquer peel on driver door.

Current spec is:
  • Bimarco Futura bucket seats and Sabelt harnesses on OMP subframes.
  • Brembo Brakes and 300 mm discs (Discs and pads are fairly new)
  • RC5 pads
  • Braided lines
  • Polybushed and recent ball joints all round
  • Speedline Turini with very good condition AD08R
  • Ktec bumper brake ducting
  • PMS shifter
  • Whiteline rear arb
  • Spacers front and rear (bolt on front, stub axle rear)
  • HID headlights
  • Samco induction kit
  • Half roll cage
  • Coilovers with AST springs (6 kg front, 9 kg rear)
  • Engine mounts
  • Rear wiper delete
  • Miltek exhaust (track legal) + De cat. Car is currently getting a CAT fitted though.
  • Alpine 60 watt CD player (got original)
  • Low millage cup gearbox (new Valeo clutch when fitted)
Conor

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Excellent work!

Just a quick suggestion, learn to drive on track with road tyres - they lose grip far easier so you can hone your abilities quicker. Especially if its wet.
In the dry, in a clio, you can drive like an absolute ham fisted moron with R888's or similar and still be quick. That wont make you a better driver however 🤣

Excellent work!

Just a quick suggestion, learn to drive on track with road tyres - they lose grip far easier so you can hone your abilities quicker. Especially if its wet.
In the dry, in a clio, you can drive like an absolute ham fisted moron with R888's or similar and still be quick. That wont make you a better driver however 🤣

Awesome pro tip. Thank you!!

I Imagine I will save a few quid with that method too?