ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie help... can't actually take photos, lol

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yeah so, I got my camera out today (Nikon D3200) just to take a few snaps for an eBay advert. It's quite expensive so wanted some photos better than iPhone quality! I'm a complete newbie btw, and have only used it a few times since I was bought it for a present.

Basically I set the item up on my dining room table, there's a big window to make sure light was coming through. I wanted to get some good depth of field shots. However try as I might, the majority of the time, my camera refused to take the photos... I tried auto, portrait, aperture priority and manual but all it did was zoom in looking like it's ready for around half a second then zoom back out and wouldn't actually take. As I said there was plenty of light (but I also tried with and without flash) and the battery was fine. Obviously I did press the button fully down, as I know a half press is for focusing or whatever.

I'm guessing (hoping) this is simply a newbie user error as I aimed at my garden and it took the shot no problem... what am I doing wrong!? Had to go back to the iPhone unfortunately which took every shot first time.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My bet is that you were too close for the minimum focusing distance.

Check the lens - it'll be written on there what that distance is.

Make sure you're over that.

Better off standing the other side of the room and zooming in sometimes...

Why do you want fancy shallow DoF shots (i assume this is what you mean ? Every photo has 'a' DoF) for an eBay ad ? What are you taking pictures of (or not as the case may be lol)...?

What lens is it ??

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
As said, it's a focusing 'issue' (the issue being the focal length is too short or there isn't a strong enough point for the lens to focus on). The camera itself is fine. just take a step back (or buy a macro lens).

That said, you could always take the picture on your iphone which might actually be very good at macro photography. Just make sure your phone's resolution is relatively high. [edit] didn't see the last bit, it's definitely a close focus problem (ie you were too close).

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay guys, cheers. This is probably a silly thing to say but going but this comparison, it seems to me that the iPhone is actually better for close up photos like this? I've taken some lovely macro photos with my Nikon before such as flowers though, so it just surprises me. Also, I tried messing around with single point focusing and it seems to focus properly so I go to take the shot but then it zooms back out again and denies me lol. Why!? It's basically there, seems like it's cruelly taunting me. The lens I have is the standard 18-55.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yes I tried manual focus (although I might be doing something wrong as obviously my experience is lacking!)

I guess ultimately it's not that important but I wanted nice photos of a tablet I'm selling to really show how perfect the screen etc. is.

I agree with the others it's a focussing problem, try shooting much farther away as with 24 Meg's you can crop the s**t out of it anyway, or buy a macro lens. Getting good product shots does take a bit of practice, I use a light tent and off camera flash and get half decent results but proper product photography and pp is a skill in itself.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Your kit lens isn't a macro lens, hence why you can't use it to focus close up. dedicated macro lenses cost around £150+ for a used one. I think (going by googles) your closest focus with the bog standard 18-55mm lens is 28cm.

Mito Sportiva 135
I had this problem with my camera (same model) when I got it and couldn't understand the issue but as others have said take a step back and zoom in more - should solve the issue mate.

Agree close ups are often a lot easier on a smart phone though!