ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie looking at 182's with some questions

BMW M3
Evening all,

Have been looking for a while at either the 172 or 182 as a track day car. I wanted something I could drive to and from track and have a bit of fun. A friend has a track focused 182 and had some passenger rides which were real fun.
Going to see a 182 locally tomorrow, done 90k miles, FSH but have a few queries that I have done a brief search for on here but haven't found answers yet...
1) What to look out for specific for the 182? I can do the usual checks but wondered if I need to specifically look for anything?
2) The car is a 182 with both cup packs - am I right this means a 3mm lower ride height, stiffer springs and dampers with updated steering geometry plus 'Anthracite' colour wheels; plus larger rear spoiler with different high level brake light and front splitter?
3) Car apparently has "climate control, no aircon", maybe a dull question but I assume these are basically same in that it will have an Aux belt?
4) Cambelt kit (receipts for £150 for genuine Renault cambelt kit with car) was done at 57k in 2012 - no mention of dephaser pulley or water pump - I guess I assume neither was done it would be worth doing the whole thing (cambelt, dephaser, water pump) rather than risk it?
5) Where is the best place to buy the cambelt kit bits? lots on eBay but are these ok?

Thanks again

PH2 172
Evening all,

Have been looking for a while at either the 172 or 182 as a track day car. I wanted something I could drive to and from track and have a bit of fun. A friend has a track focused 182 and had some passenger rides which were real fun.
Going to see a 182 locally tomorrow, done 90k miles, FSH but have a few queries that I have done a brief search for on here but haven't found answers yet...
1) What to look out for specific for the 182? I can do the usual checks but wondered if I need to specifically look for anything?
2) The car is a 182 with both cup packs - am I right this means a 3mm lower ride height, stiffer springs and dampers with updated steering geometry plus 'Anthracite' colour wheels; plus larger rear spoiler with different high level brake light and front splitter?
3) Car apparently has "climate control, no aircon", maybe a dull question but I assume these are basically same in that it will have an Aux belt?
4) Cambelt kit (receipts for £150 for genuine Renault cambelt kit with car) was done at 57k in 2012 - no mention of dephaser pulley or water pump - I guess I assume neither was done it would be worth doing the whole thing (cambelt, dephaser, water pump) rather than risk it?
5) Where is the best place to buy the cambelt kit bits? lots on eBay but are these ok?

Thanks again
Offer £500, spend £3000 on it ,and all be fine.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Become a member on here, stick a wanted thread up, budget, colour etc and go from there.

Imo.

BMW M3
Yes - clutch was a bit heavy with quite a high biting point - not sure if normal but seems to be according to guide on here. No slippage and gear changes fine though.
Idle - expected it to be slightly lumpy but noticed a more dieselly sound when warmed up as per the vids below - is this normal or sign of dephaser needs doing?
Cold idle -
Warm idle - trouble uploading this so will post link when I can

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
The heavy clutch and high biting point is standard and as long as it doesn’t slip or kangaroo away it’s nothing to worry about.

Has the car been sitting? Was it started from stone cold for the video?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Granted I’ve not had a clio for about 5 years that sounds ok to me.

BMW M3
Thanks all, finally got the warm idle one to upload

The cold idle seemed fine to me, it has been left sat there overnight apparently and seemed stone cold. It was the above I was slightly concerned about but it is the first 172/182 I have viewed.

Ex 182 owner
Playing devils advocate.. if your asking those sort of questions regarding the cambelt kit. Buying a kit to DIY might not be a wise move. As steve has said budget for a specialst to do them, immediatley (unless you buying the car for peanuts and happy to drive till it goes bang)
Cup packs- only way to check is the bolt hole spacing on the strut or the width of the front abs rings.. Just cause it has dark wheels doesnt mean anything. (i made this mistake with my first 182)

BMW M3
Not a DIY cambelt job. Was looking at best prices to buy the parts to keep costs down and perhaps just pay for labour but have access to previous Renault tech so he is getting me prices all inclusive as well. He isn’t online to send him the video hence why asking queries here.

Does the video I uploaded sound dieselly to current/previous owners who can offer opinion?