ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie looking into DSLR's

Hey,

So I've been contemplating getting a DSLR for the past 6 months but only until now had the funds to do so, though I'm completely undecided as to which model would be better suited for me.

A few months back I managed to nab a Canon Powershot SX210IS for dirt cheap from the Canon outlet, and it's a nice compact camera, but it's obviously not exactly what I was looking for.

I've little to no experience of taking proper photos, but it's something I've wanted to do and after seeing my friends at the meet yesterday I've been looking again and have the itch to get one.

Now, the problem I've still got is that I'm not sure which would be the best to go for, I'm not looking to spend anymore than 600D money, but at the same time I'm wondering if it's worth getting a 600D due to the lack of experience. Obviously if this becomes a serious thing then initially investing in a 600D would be hugely beneficial over, say a 1100D, but I'm still unsure as to whether this is the right move or not.

I've also been seriously looking at the 550D, as far as I can tell the only major difference is the screen? With the 550D or the 600D I'd of course get the kit with the IS lens over any of the others, I saw Currys have a deal on this weekend for the 1100D with two lenses, but neither are IS lenses and I'm sure I've read that the 75-300mm lens is one of the worst they've ever produced?

And also due to that I'm not sure where I'd get it from, I guess the obvious choice is somewhere like Jessops, as it's easy if I have any problems, and I believe they pricematch. I also know there's the cashback deal on at the moment so that's up to £50 saving also.

Basically apart from writing down everything that I'm thinking, I'm after opinions as to what you would do if you were in the same situation where you were looking at getting your first proper camera!

Ramble over, hope it all makes sense!

Matt, I was in exactly the same position as you about 4 weeks ago. My 600D was/is my first SLR and it's great.

Really simple to use and takes cracking pics. Took me about 1/2 weeks to become comfortable with shooting in manual 99.9% of the time.

I love it and I have no regrets.

I was originally going to get the 550D but the 600D was only £50 more and has the movable screen. I did a lot of reading and review watching before spending the extra £50 on the 600D.

The screen is great for getting low shots when it's wet/dirty and you don't fancy getting on your knees. Same with up high shots too. I've used it loads already.

It also has a built in remote thingy lol. I've not used it yet, but I think it's something to do with remove flashes? I dunno - the 550D doesn't have it anyway, and the guy in Jessops said that when/if I use flashes that this will be hugely benaficial.

As for the 1000D - at that price, I hear the Nikon D3100 is better...

I made a very similar thread to this on 197.net and a lot of the guys said 550D - I'm glad I listened. ;)

Hope that helps man.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I was the exact same as Tom last christmas. I'd looked at the 550d for a while. But in the end, I settled for a 600d with kit lens.

Well I went for a 550D, I liked the idea of rotatable screen but for the difference in price I just didn't see it, maybe that's just me!

As I'm aware they're essentially the same apart from that and some other minor things, so went for the 550D :)

I was actually going to get the 600D, but there was no stock at the place I was getting it, and me being impatient just sided with the 550D as this was my original thought anyway :D

A fantastic buy.

I got a 550D about a year ago as where I am (Korea), the 600D wasn't in shops at that point.

I've used a 600D once or twice since I got my 550 and I couldn't get on with the screen in normal use when compared to the 550D. I'm sure it is great for low down shots though, but I just end up laying on the ground or putting the camera next to the floor and trying a few shots till I get what I'm after :)

I've bought a couple of lenses for mine, but even with the kit lens it is a great camera.
You'll learn a lot and can do some much with the camera.
I've probably taken 20,000 shots or more in a year and still love it!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I got a 500D last year from the Canon eBay shop. I was in the same situation as you I had no real experience of photography, I now wish I had bought a better body but a n00b spending £900 on a 7D is crazy, so I was more than happy getting my 500D and kit lens for £340.

I'd also go with the 600D purely as the 550D is getting a little dated now.