ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk4 .:R32
Hi :),

Iam new to this Detailing lark and have decided that I would like to get more involved in it (After bieng told not to as its too addicitve Lol).

I have had a B/G 182 for a while now, as its my first 'decent' car and black car, I really want to keep it in good shape. I have bought a few bits such as a Meguires Mit, 2 buckets, AG polish, shampoo, clean wheels, Megs tyre gel stuff Lol, and some microfibre cloths :eek:.

I just want some pointers really, good stuff to get and techniques to use. Also I quickly washed the car today, and I was in a constant battle with the sun as i could'nt dry it quick enough, plus the heat from the sun made it so hard to polish after, could'nt get the car out of the sun anywhere either! There must be an easier way, especially as its not even summer yet!!

I have a few scratches and stone chips on the front bumper and lower back arches I want to sort too.

Any help appreciated,

Matt

Bus w**ker
Sun? Today? No rain in France then? :p

Anyway, there's a good guide on here by Rich, I think, and some gooduns over on Detailing World.

My advice if you can't get out of the sun is a panel at a time. Wash and then rinse, repeat each panel and then rinse it down lightly and dry quickly with a MF cloth. Same with the polish really. On (don't use too much), buff and remove.

Other's are far more knowledgeable than me so I'll leave the rest to them.

Mk4 .:R32
Lol, it was nice this afternoon!

ahh thanks mate, i'll check out that site. Iam guessing that people usually wash and polish out of the sun then?

What about this clay stuff? Is that easy to use? Iam scared iam going to scratch the car trying lol...

Bus w**ker
Yeah in the shade is better as it stops the products from baking on the paintwork and easier to remove. Probably some other reasons too that I don't know about lol. It's not always possible though.

Clay is great for removing contaminants in the paint work. As long as you make sure the clay is pliable before you start, use lots of lube (quick detailer) and use a light clay bar when you're starting out you shouldn't run into trouble. But unfortunately people have in the past so it's best to read up on it first and then have a go. But the key is lube. You shouldn't scratch the paint with clay as you wash the car first and then clay it but you can get marring which is when the clay sticks to the paint and drags leaving a mark behind. Meg's do a good starter kit you can get it from Halfords for about £25 or off eBay delivered for under £20.

For best results you'd want to get the car corrected with a machine polisher, then seal the paint and get a few layers of wax on. But you can build to that in time when you're more comfortable with your products.

If you do a search in this section you should find a thread about best products to use with B/G. Or if I've imagined that thread you could post up on DW asking for advice over there.