ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie's detailing kit - what to buy and where?

Clio 182
Hi all,

I've always appreciated a clean car and used to have a cabinet full of different polishes, lubricants, clay bars, tyre dressings etc but I sold it all when I closed my old workshop. I used mainly products that were available commercially at favourable rates and in truth never spent much time using them, mainly leaving the cleaning/detailing to staff.

I want to look after my Clio and my client's cars a bit better and currently have NO cleaning gear other than a Dupray steam cleaner [which is awesome] and 10ltrs of G101 [with spray bottles]. I don't want to get into machine polishing at this stage, just good equipment to use for a manual clean. I see 2/3 client's cars a month for mechanical work which usually includes a full track-day prep - their cars are usually well kept but they do have brake dust marring along with the usual track-day related marks.

What would you buy?
Where would you buy it from?

My list of items to buy so far is:
2 x wash buckets with grit guards
Lambswool wash mitt
Microfibre drying towel
Microfibre glass towel
Microfibre's [general]
Shampoo
Glass Cleaner
Clay bar [with lubricant]
Cleaning brushes
Tar remover
Fallout remover

Thanks for your help in advance!

Daniel

RB Clio 182
I wouldnt bother with clay lube, its expensive and soapy water works just as good, not fairy liquid obviously, just a squirt of shampoo.

Autoglym srp is decent used by hand and contains fillers that masks marks, or maguairs ultimate compound works fine.

Also autoglym hd wax isnt bad for a synthetic wax, or a dodo juice wax like purple haze is decent for similar money.

Then obviousy tyre gel, i like maguairs endurance gel, also some plastic and rubber restorer and a decent lsp(last stage protection) demon shine would do the job but there are much more expensive ones which i have found dont work any better tbh.

All of the above can be found af halfords apart from your dodo juice.

Last edited:

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Pretty much everything you need you'll find on The Carpro website.

Plus you get a 10% CS discount and free delivery on purchases over £50 iirc.

I wouldnt bother with clay lube, its expensive and soapy water works just as good, not fairy liquid obviously, just a squirt of shampoo.

Autoglym srp is decent used by hand and contains fillers that masks marks, or maguairs ultimate compound works fine.

Also autoglym hd wax isnt bad for a synthetic wax, or a dodo juice wax like purple haze is decent for similar money.

Then obviousy tyre gel, i like maguairs endurance gel, also some plastic and rubber restorer and a decent lsp(last stage protection) demon shine would do the job but there are much more expensive ones which i have found dont work any better tbh.

All of the above can be found af halfords apart from your dodo juice.
Yeah clay lube is a waste of money, I use Megs QD (got a 5l bottle that I dilute)