ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next car?

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Thinking of changing the 172 soon due to starting a new job. Was set on a Vee but i have decided i want to move away from Renault not because the Clio have been bad as it has been awesome fun but i just want something a bit different. I won't need the car for commuting so it will only be used occasionally and at weekends and will be my only car. At the moment im thinking of a Golf Mk 4 R32 but the thought of a VX220 turbo keeps creeping into my mind. Interested in people's thoughts particular if they have owned either of the above cars? Cheers, Steve.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Vee
R32
Elise
Vx220
Mx5

Vee was amazing and sounded superb, driving it is an experience but it may not be the quickest.

Mk1 Focus RS too, or an ST, or a Meg R26 (I read that not another Renault, but they are nice)

For out right speed & handling the VX220 Turbo wins imo, they just lack a lot of stuff (otherwise i'd have got one a while ago)

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Looking at around 10-12k really. Im keen for the Vx but the fact it is so bare inside is holding me back. Mind you i coped with the cup a few years back and that doesnt have too much inside either lol.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Mk1 Focus RS too, or an ST, or a Meg R26 (I read that not another Renault, but they are nice)

For out right speed & handling the VX220 Turbo wins imo, they just lack a lot of stuff (otherwise i'd have got one a while ago)

My best mate has an ST and nice a car as it is, i dont want to copy him and there are so many on the roads i would like something a bit rarer.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Evo's or Scoobs suit you ?

Tbh your budget will get you a lot of nice cars.

Thats the problem mate can't decide what to get lol. I am trying to sort out a test drive in a VX to see if i like it. One of my mates used to have an R32 so i know what that is like. Think it will come down to what i like best on the test drives. And no im not interested in a Scooby or Evo like every other lad in his 20's who lives here in Essex lol.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
How practical does it need to be?
there are some nice evo's and scoobys for that money.
Evo did that 10k performance car test a while back, but i can't remember what won.
thin k there was an rx7
and an M5.
what bout caterham? altho a good one may be a little expensive.

I've been out in a stage 2 & a stage 4 VXT, the stage 4 (350bhp or so with the same torque fig) almost tore my face off, It was like going to Alton Towers, to say it was stupisly fast was an understatement ! They are nice, but tbh more of a summer car, i'd not want one in winter. If your not on the vx site have a look on there.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Yeah had a look on the vx220 site and they were happy to help. To be honest in terms of practicality the only trips i really do are to rugby training/games and to visit the gf. The most i ever really have in the car is a kit bag and maybe a few bags of shopping if i can be bothered to go. Need to be able to use all year round within reason.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
What was the stage 2 VX like Cat? Are they silly quick cars? Not driven anything quicker than my 172 before really.

RS4
got a MK4 R32 currently. I use it as a daily, torque is immense pulls from pretty much every gear and its built like a tank. Sounds incredible with a milltek too.
It really comes down to what you want - the golf and the VX are two completely different cars

They VX's are fast as standard, but the owners mentioned that standard un re-mapped cars aren't that good (turbo lag etc) so most mod them. The stage 2 one I went in was 250bhp. Standard is 60 in 4.7 secs.

Edit, you'd need to go out in a VX tbh, great in the summer with the roof off imo, not in the winter though. They are soo basic, but that's part of the character. If you can live without stuff like central locking (most don't have it) and like wind up windows etc, go for it.

Last edited:
  Black R26, Iceburg 172
Considered an M3 and Z3M but servicing/running costs will just be too high. I understand the R32 and VXT are completely different but i have some how whittled my choices down to these 2 so far lol. I'm still open to opinions on others that haven't been mentioned though. Thanks for all your thoughts so far been very helpful.

I've only ever been in modded ones, but yes they do. As they are so close to the ground they really give the impression that when you open them up they are very fast, they are fast though (if that makes sense)