ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NGK spark plugs - heat range consideration?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So, it's my understanding that the spark plugs at heat range 6 are fine for a standard 182, range 7 for a modded/turbo or supercharged option and range 8 for a pure track car.

As they all appear to be the same price anyway, are there any gains in terms of smoother idle, smoother response by having a set of 7's over the standard 6's?

As my engine is non-standard, I was thinking of trying out a pack of the 7's instead?

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
What do you mean by your engine is non standard? Is it boosted or n/a now? If it’s just a few bolt on mods then I’d just stay with the normal Renaultsport spec ngk spark plugs.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
It'll idle worse with colder plugs in, not immediately but they will soot up over time. There's no advantage to changing plug heat range when you don't need to.

Don't forget to check the plug gap as you're putting them in.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Put them in today. Interestingly, they were 7's that came out and have obviously had new 6's going in.

Had a bit of spirited drive over here for about half-an-hour afterwards and it 'felt' smoother. Most likely a complete placebo effect or simply new plugs vs. four-year-old ones. But I'll see how I get on.

All the old plugs looked good with no obvious sooting or other signs of issues.