ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D40 using manual lens

FF RB 182
Hi folks,

Fella's had a D40 for over a year now, and decided to buy a Tokina 70-210mm f4~5.6 manual lens as it was at a bargain price, and a wanted more range than with the kit lens. He understands that slower shutter speeds are required for smaller apertures, but he keeps getting either very dark or black images or very light or white images, and is struggling to get his head around it all. He's been looking through reams of tutorials but can't find a decent one. Anybody point him in the right direction?

FF RB 182
It's an old lens, as in it was manufactured in the late 70s I think!
No metering or anything with the lens, the problem is he's struggling to get a middle ground, especially indoors, where everything is just dark, even with lights on. Says in summer in proper light it should be fine. Will look through the links.

EDIT: Thinks ISO probably a problem indoors after reading that.

Last edited:
In that case yes sounds like the ISO needs to go up, the aperture to f4~f5.6 and the shutter speed down but probably end up with blurry pictures indoors & hand held.

Cupra
I assume that he is using the manual settings on the camera too and not trying to use auto?

A friend of mine uses manual lenses from the stone age on his D300 and has no problems getting correct exposures so it can be done.

Why doesn't the metering on the camera work? Normally it should always be able to tell you whether the exposure is correct or not, even without the lens on?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I assume that he is using the manual settings on the camera too and not trying to use auto?

A friend of mine uses manual lenses from the stone age on his D300 and has no problems getting correct exposures so it can be done.

Why doesn't the metering on the camera work? Normally it should always be able to tell you whether the exposure is correct or not, even without the lens on?

was also going to say the camera does the metering not the lens....

he needs to make sure he has the camera set to M mode... not s or a or p... he then needs to understand the light meter which will show in the viewfinder learn how to get this centred and the images will come out fine unless the lens is fubar'd lol...

FF RB 182
The D40 will not meter with manual lenses, and will only work in M with said lenses.

Cupra
Just saw that on google. Looks like he is stuck to trial and error/ using the histogram (if the D40 has one of those?).

There are hacks to the D40 but they seem to involve taking a lens appart with a metering chip and then taking the D40 appart and putting it in there. Might as well just get a new lens TBH as it is far easier!

If he wants more range the Nikon 55-200VR can be had for a decent price these days if he decides to go the lens change route.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
cheapest and easiest way would be to go and get a light meter... ebay would be a good cheap place... just a small hand held light meter...

FF RB 182
No histogram with non CPU lenses. He bought the lens as he doesn't have £200+ to spend on one, car is far more important. Will pass the light meter idea on.