ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D60 or Canon 450D or other?

Honda. Tesla Someday
Hello People!

Getting passionate about photography and feel the need to buy an SLR!!

Was looking at the Canon 450D and the Nikon D60...

Any advice on which to get etc??? I don't know MUCH about camera's!!

Thank You

Suzuki Ignis
Much of the same tbh. Only way you will know what is right is go to shops and have a play, whatever feels right is the one for you.

Although id say Nikon D60 ;)

Cupra
450 technology is a fair bit newer than the D60. It normally comes down to personal preferance though.
450 vote from me, but I am a Canonian.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Some amazing pics on there Feltcher!

What other lenses have you got and how long have you been taking pics for?

And in your opinion, why the Canon 450D rather than a D60 for example?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Some amazing pics on there Feltcher!

What other lenses have you got and how long have you been taking pics for?

And in your opinion, why the Canon 450D rather than a D60 for example?

Thank you :)

Most pics on my flickr account are taking with the standard 18-55mm lens, i also have a Tamron 70-300mm telephoto lens.

I have been taking pics for a few years with my old sony digital camera, but have really gotten into photography since late last august when i got my 450d.

I went for the 450d because at the time Jessops were doing a bundle deal, where i got the tamron lens and memory card all for iirc under £600.

Hope this helps :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
The 450d is slightly better in a few ways imho. Most people will say that I'm biased as I own one, but I only own one because I compared them both beforehand. I actually was planning to get a Nikon as well at the time. There's not a lot in though, really. DPreview side-by-side comparison.

The 450d has a few extra AF points, Live View, dust removal, more frames per second etc. I think they're all correct, may be more things too, can't remember everything.

To be honest, unless you have a preference for either brand, you will be happy with whichever one you choose.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Excellent advice, thank you!

The 450D has 12.2MP and the Nikon has 10.2 right?

Does this make much of a difference?

Honda. Tesla Someday
The 450D has Live View and Timelapse recording. D60 doesnt.

Arghh this is doing my head in!!

I was asking somebody elses advice at work and he said don't worry about the megapixels etc. He said Nikon bring out their camera's less frequently, so the pack more in to each one, whereas Canon bring them out often, so once you buy its soon out of date.

Is he talking out of his butt?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Pixels don't mean a lot, both will produce photos that look good up to large sizes. For example a Nikon D40 only has 6MP, but it still takes great shots, other factors are more important. As for release rates:

Canon
Nikon

I haven't been into photography for very long, but from what I can see they both seem fairly regular. If you keep comparing the two your head will only get worse, both brands make excellent cameras. The best thing to do is learn how to use whatever camera you have to the best of your abilities. People with a 1000D can take better photos than someone with a 5D mkII if they have the ability.

koi

Audi S1
I went for the 450d because it has live view which comes in handy. If your not bothered about this you should try them both out and go for the one you feel more comfortable with.

I had both and chose the D60 out of the 2 as it felt better built and I preferred the layout/menus and overall feel.

Honda. Tesla Someday
blady hell!

Still no definitive answer! Will have to give them a go!!

Arghhhh all the advice has been great though!! Keep it coming need all the help I can get!

Which is better to get 'in the long run'?

Rally bus
blady hell!

Still no definitive answer! Will have to give them a go!!

That's because there is no definite answer. They are both good cameras, go to a shop and try them both out. Nikon gear felt better built to me when I first got a DSLR hence I chose the Nikon over the equivalent Canon.

Rally bus
I'm not sure how looking at other people's photographs will help the decision - just because one person's photos are better than someone elses doesn't mean that the camera they are using is better. How good the photo is is more likely to be down to the ability of the photographer!