ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D7100 is here at last

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm utterly torn with which motorsport lens to buy, I can't decide if the 70-300mm G SSM will be fine (compact enough to go travelling with me as well) or to get the 80-400mm G SSM (too big for anything else, but a complete weapon). Leaning towards the 70-300 as I can always use the Smart Teleconvertor function for extra reach.

​The Sigma 100-300 f4 if you can find one on the used market.

​The Sigma 100-300 f4 if you can find one on the used market.

Found one, it's heading my way. However I also have the 70-300mm G SSM, which is surprisingly awesome. The 100-300 will need to be special to beat it (considering the 70-300 will also just fit in my travel shoulder bag next to the a77/16-50.)

Citroen DS3 DSport
Found one, it's heading my way. However I also have the 70-300mm G SSM, which is surprisingly awesome. The 100-300 will need to be special to beat it (considering the 70-300 will also just fit in my travel shoulder bag next to the a77/16-50.)

I think I may have offered you the same advice on AVF over the past week or two.

I've used both the Sigma 100-300 and Sony 70-300 G and much preferred the Sigma.

Im going to post up a full review on my FB page at a later date.

I have seen mixed reviews of the camera with some people complaining about sharpness/IQ etc.

I have no complaints about it. I though the number of AF points was overkill, but its been a revelation to me. You can select a small group that you can then move around, or single spot etc. Takes a bit of getting used to though!

Sharpness levels are good. This was with the 16-85VR and straight from the camera (sharpness and saturation has been set sligtly higher than standard in camera).

8666657211_f5d9c96cce_c.jpg

As mentioned, will post a full review, probably after my trip to Cornwall as the camera will be used for a huge variety of trips out!

Its nice and sharp Jay

I haven't heard of any sharpness issues with the sensor, it should in theory at least be one of the best, if not the best crop sensor.

trouble with these 24 meg crop sensors (I have one myself) is that if you increased the size to full frame it would hold nearly 60 megapixels and given the d800 struggles for good glass at 36 meg you can see that you absolutely have to give a 24 crop sensor top notch glass.

​Any shaking or hand movement is massively exaggerated with so many pixels so I suspect a lot of these reports your using is down to user error and crap glass.