ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NIKON D90

Think the 2 open topics can be merged on the D90!!!

Would love to try my 30mm on the D90!!

And ukaskew... you would get some serious footage with your rather small sigma lens! A standard video camera just couldn't give you that kind of zoom!

Re: d90 video

Manual focus makes a lot of sense really! Gives you so much control to focus on what you want, foreground, background etc. Will be a lot of fun expermenting, especially with wide angle lenses, we make for some real unique footage! The video taken with the fisheye lens is nothing like I have seen before!

I'm combining my Christmas and Birthday money for an upgrade to my D50, if I can't stretch to a D300 I can see myself quite happily getting a D90...it seems to have the same (or nearly the same) amazing 3" 640x480 screen as the D300, and the high ISO performance sounds like it's going to be exceptional, those are the only things I really have an issue with on my D50.

Additional gimmicks don't worry me, they don't appear to detract from the actual camera...and it would be good fun shooting a bit of movie at 300mm f2.8!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Very tempted to sell my canon 400d with lenses and move over to the D90. See how many pennies I have around christmas

Im tempted to sell all my kit to get the d90! lol, means just having the 18-105VR for a bit and maybe a nifty fifty.... just not sure!

I could prob sell all mine for around £800, but lose 105-200 + my 30mm prime..

Big decisions!

Fiat Panda 100hp
I would be tempted jay...

Lot of glass to give up for a lens though, and they say bodies come and go but lens will stay around for time.

Been seriously researching this camera this past few days, found this nice little feature of some real life shots which is pretty interesting. I don't go for all the technical graphs, colour charts and stuff, so seeing some true-to-life images is good...

D90 High ISO Test

D90 Sharpness Test

Certainly think it will replace getting a D300 for me, will leave me with enough money to get a nice lens as well.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Had a small play with one today in the local camera shop. Had the D90 with kit lens for £750 which is nearly £100 cheaper than have seen it elsewhere.

Was a nice bit og kit, good size and the live view was very responsive. Didnt get chance to look at the movie mode but am sorely tempted to sell my 400d and move to Nikon...

Tappd'd RS
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had the pleasure of trying this new model in anger yet? I'm been thinking about upgrading my D40x for a while and this sounds like it would fit my needs nicely.

Cheers,

Alan

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've seen an ebay link, £560 inc. postage for an EU version body only, 2 year warranty. so tempted.

I have also read that the kit lens is pretty pap!

Revels Mum & Sister
Such a cnut tbh :(

Nah dont blame you I wouldnt either with that badboy out. Baby doesnt need nappies get it bought.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
anyone bought one yet? ive been reading good and bad things about it and want to know what you lot think before i pay 700 shnorbits for one and leave canon behind...

Revels Mum & Sister
I just watched it. The only bad points were slightly slow focussing when using Liveview, or the way he was anyway. The other limitations were to do with the Video mode. Slightly shaky when handheld, some artifacts, some banding when zooming. Nothing major IMO.

They do say though that it takes great pictures and has been brought up to date.

He says that at that price point there is the Canon 40d and the Pentax, but as we know its all preference and what glass and who is taking the piccy.

I dont see ANY reason not to buy one

I just watched it. The only bad points were slightly slow focussing when using Liveview, or the way he was anyway. The other limitations were to do with the Video mode. Slightly shaky when handheld, some artifacts, some banding when zooming. Nothing major IMO.

I don't think any of those things bother/worry/interest me in the slightest, so it's all good.

More excited by the fact it basically has the basic imaging properties of the D3 and D300 (same processor etc, even updated, slightly), which means super accurate image recording, stunning high ISO performance and a beautiful LCD screen

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
I have also read by people who have used it alongside a d80 that the AWB is off and some images dont look like they should and other little niggles. Have a look at the cameralabs.com forums. Some interesting articles on there and lots of talk of the d90

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im hopefully upgrading to a d3 at xmas time... if i dont keep my d2x i would want a d90 as a backup...

on a side note was looking at an article on the olympics the other day... they said 4 and 8 years ago, all the photography was pretty much dominated by canon... but since nikon released its fx series cameras it was slowly being taken over by nikon! there are a few stadium shots where you can see loads more d3's than canons in the press pens...

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Im still debating. If Warehouse express will mtch the £720 price that play are doing the camera for I will get it on the interest free credit and spread the cost over the year. Typical that play have no stock at the moment!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
so they do, miht call warehouse express in the morn and see what they sy. Go to portugal in a week so would be a nice travelling companion

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
ive submitted the pricemtch to warehouse express and awaiting a reply. apparently they would refund 125% the difference. o since the difference is currently £130 then could potentially get it for under £700 with kit lens. Think that will be too tempting to turn down.

Has anyone got one yet? Sold one of my D50s today ;) so I'm well on the way, but as I live in the middle of nowhere I won't be able to go and physically play with one for ages.

Would be interested in what prices people dig up as well.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Has anyone got one yet? Sold one of my D50s today ;) so I'm well on the way, but as I live in the middle of nowhere I won't be able to go and physically play with one for ages.

Would be interested in what prices people dig up as well.

your near swindon arent you?? t4 cameras there have one im pretty sure... i will be going tomorrow to get my sb900 so i will have a look and see what price he will do for one if you like?

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
didnt get one in the end. everyone has put their prices up to over £800 so would rather buy the canon 40d body I think

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i had a play today! very impressed tbh went and picked up a sb900 and had a play with some equipment, the guy in the shop every time i go in just unboxes whatever i want lol!

anyway d90, VERY nice, not as quick as my d2x to focus with a 50 1.8 but still stupidly quick, images are very nice, crisp clear and pop with colour!

handling it fits in the hand very nice, im used to a pro body (size wise) and only thing i missed was portrait shutter button... but its all good, the video mode took a bit of getting used to but if your not used to manual focus it might be a bit difficult to pick up...

if you can get a grip for it, would make it more comfortable for me personally! iso quality seemed good too!

while i was there i played with a d700 and a d3, i dont really see the point in the 700, same sensor as the d3 just SLOWER! will defo be getting the d3 at christmas time!

while i was there was playing with a canon... the new 5dmrk2 or what ever it is, wasnt paying to much attention to the camera it had a 800mm l series bolted to it, swear to god that lens is sexual lol... asked about the price... £8k for the lens lol ... gave it back!

also had a play with a 200-400vr i need to find 10k to get me a d3 and a 200-400vr and a few other bits lol! 200-400 is sexual!

all in all d90 is very nice would recomend it no problem...

oh greys of westminster have them new for 675 for the body!

Was this T4 in Swindon? Was watching some vids on Youtube of guys just playing around with a D90 in a camera store in the US and I was absurdly jealous, it appeared as far removed from the likes of Jessops as you can get! This place you went to sounds just like that :)

Glad to hear you liked it anyhow, it's fully compatible with the D80 grip (which I will be getting with it, hopefully) which I think has a separate shutter release on it as well.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Was this T4 in Swindon? Was watching some vids on Youtube of guys just playing around with a D90 in a camera store in the US and I was absurdly jealous, it appeared as far removed from the likes of Jessops as you can get! This place you went to sounds just like that :)

Glad to hear you liked it anyhow, it's fully compatible with the D80 grip (which I will be getting with it, hopefully) which I think has a separate shutter release on it as well.

yeh t4 in swindon! go in and speak to a guy called richard... he is overly interested in helping young photogrpahers out... HE LOVES talking tech lol and he will honestly get anything out for you to play with and look at! and if he doesnt have stock he will get it for you the next day lol...

every time i go in he asks how the last bit of kit was i got from him and he remembers what camera i have etc lol really really is a good guy and knows his s**t! not like jessops where you get these kids that dont know f**k all and just stand there leaking puss from there spots lol, there is a carpark right next door to it aswell and is a really nice little store, plus have a good stock of second hand stuff in aswell! completely recomend it and will pricematch any uk store and will try and match grey imports too...

i got my sb900 for 290 which is cheaper than anywhere else and he chucked in 8 re chargeable batts free... i was in the store for nearly 2 hours lol... the shots i took on the cameras he was sticking on a pc for me to look at, he is that helpful!

Sounds like my kind of place. Just checked with the other half and that's where she got my Monopod and Head from, she said they were great and I know she got a great price.

Will certainly head there for the D90, when I purchased my D50 I got it in London Camera Exchange (Bath), sadly it failed after a while (faulty shutter) but they were great, gave me a new one there and then and were really helpful. Life would have been much more difficult had I bought it online or Currys or somewhere like that.