ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No more Renault Sport (now Alpine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

“This name change symbolizes the new momentum in which the Les Ulis site is already engaged with the development of the future 100% electric Alpine range”.

Is that it for petrol / hybrid hatchbacks from renaultsport/alpine?

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Who even are Renault any more??

nothing they make is innovative or original.

remember the game changing laguna? Or the “big ass” Renault Megane? The amazing hot hatches they built?? On every street was a Renault Scenic or 6.

now they do a captur a d a Zoe I think?! Maybe something else? Who knows.

a rebranding/remodel is what’s needed definitely. They’re currently duller than piss and launching new models under the Renault name would be financial suicide. Imo.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I can't say I understand this sporting sub-brand thing to be honest. Seat did it a while ago with Cupra, but does anyone actually care? Do buyers even really notice when they're buying it from the same dealership? Do folk that buy a Cupra Ateca tell people they have a Cupra, or do they just have to explain why their Seat has silly bronze badges on it?

I can't imagine things will be much different with Renault/Alpine. Sadly it marks the end of one of the most iconic mainstream sporting brands of recent years and, in reality, the end of the internal combustion Renault hot hatch. With Alpine earmarked as an EV brand, if we do see any hot hatches, they probably won't have petrol engines in them.

The end of an era. RIP Renault Sport.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
At least the Cupra stuff is properly decent, the slightly silly looks are backed up by some decent muscle.

Most other brands just stick a different set of wheels and a bit of leather in the car. The cars in themselves are nice enough but sticking something like a Renault Sport or Alpine badge on is abit of a piss take.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
At least the Cupra stuff is properly decent, the slightly silly looks are backed up by some decent muscle.

Most other brands just stick a different set of wheels and a bit of leather in the car. The cars in themselves are nice enough but sticking something like a Renault Sport or Alpine badge on is abit of a piss take.
Some of the Cupra stuff isn't decent though?

As I found out from HUKD yesterday, you can get a 190 PS Cupra Formentor, so they're not just reserving Cupra for the decent cars. 190 PS in an SUV is absolute pish, especially as it's the same engine that does 310, but heavily detuned.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

As I found out from HUKD yesterday, you can get a 190 PS Cupra Formentor, so they're not just reserving Cupra for the decent cars. 190 PS in an SUV is absolute pish, especially as it's the same engine that does 310, but heavily detuned.

The Cupra brand is even more confusing than that. You can get the run of the mil 1.5TSI in the Formentor as well. How does that fit the Cupra marketing BS. It’s literally just another VAG badge engineering exercise. Which I have partially bought into, btw.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
The future of cars is electric so thats something we all have to accept. With the popularity of the Alpine, Renault may be onto something about splitting their brands and focusing on more unique cars after the relative success of the A110
Renault Sport cars are not popular in the EU. The UK is probably its biggest market.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I imagine they'll push the GT Line models more. That seems to be what the majority of people go for these days - all the trim on a standard car, keeping running costs down.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
Was only going this way when the announced the new F1 team name, I mentioned it at the time. Otherwise why bother with the change of name for a manufacturer with only 1 current car for sale.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

What on earth is a Formentor?

I hadn't realised they were starting to dilute the Cupra brand as well, I thought that was what the FR brand was for?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The future of cars is electric so thats something we all have to accept. With the popularity of the Alpine, Renault may be onto something about splitting their brands and focusing on more unique cars after the relative success of the A110
Renault Sport cars are not popular in the EU. The UK is probably its biggest market.

Has the A110 been very successful? I got the impression that it hadn't sold that well.

The all show no go generation.

Is that the case though? Cars are faster than they've ever been. VW shipped thousands of Golf Rs, Ford did the same with the Fiesta ST. Access to high performance has never been greater. You can see why the S-Line/ST-Line/FR/GT-Line stuff appeals to buyers too, as they get the sporty looks, keep the running costs lower and, in a lot of cases, are still getting something faster and more capable than they've ever had before. Downsized turbocharged engines, coupled with advancements in suspension and tyre tech has meant that even a bang-average car is now far beyond the performance requirements of the average driver.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have a Formentor all day long, probably the nicest looking small SUV thing about, but I'd only have the 310 PS.

It'll be 10 years before I'd be buying one though.
I priced up an Ateca... £45k for a fully loaded one 😭

No chance when you can buy a well-sorted 8P S3 for ~10k

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I think there is more to these rebranding of sports models than people think. Car manufacturers are under immense pressure to reduce emissions. I suspect you will find that removing the performance models and placing them under the ‘prestige’ of a performance brand means that Renault can deliver on their commitment to zero Emissions, whilst taking the tariff penalty on their ‘performance’ range at a much smaller level (the fine is based on total units sold globally by the brand) so rather than them hit over their emissions target and have to pay a fine on every Renault sold, Alpine will just pay the fine on every car sold, which will be a much smaller number....

expect to see more of this folks!

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Has the A110 been very successful? I got the impression that it hadn't sold that well.

I thought it had been doing Ok. I'm happy to be corrected.
Personally I think it doesnt look good enough at the rear compared to a Cayman so I'd not have one.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Companies partway for various reasons, one major reason is money/tax and the other is for brand reputation

Alpine has that upper echelon or premium tag towards it's name, whereas if you said the word "Renault" to the average Joe they would probably recurse in fear or think back the time when they had a MK2 Megane and you can see the Vietnam flashbacks in their little worried face

The A110 has to be one of the ugliest sports cars released in a long time. Missed the trick there did Renault, sorry Alpine.

3CB15B2C-0693-4149-A84B-A6A7AAACE978.jpeg

CD4EB726-ED12-4854-8B0A-4F64400D54A8.jpeg

🤢🤮🤮

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I thought it had been doing Ok. I'm happy to be corrected.
Personally I think it doesnt look good enough at the rear compared to a Cayman so I'd not have one.

I did read somewhere that it was sub-5000 cars globally in 2019. Not big numbers given the development costs.

A friend of mine has one. I think they look lovely personally. Simple, and a nice blend of retro and modern. Sadly, he has also had paint and corrosion issues already, so that would put me off a bit.

It was always going to be hard to break into the Cayman market in reality.

The A110 has to be one of the ugliest sports cars released in a long time. Missed the trick there did Renault, sorry Alpine.

View attachment 1537990
View attachment 1537989

🤢🤮🤮

Don't you drive a Mini? Not sure you're in a position to comment on how a car looks ;)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Is that the case though? Cars are faster than they've ever been. VW shipped thousands of Golf Rs, Ford did the same with the Fiesta ST.

The fast cars got faster, but they shift infinitely more underpowered heaps. They see no problem sticking a 1.6 Diesel into a Skoda Superb, or sticking a 1.5 Diesel in a Gashqui, dogshit slow.

Rear of the 110 looks like a squished Audi, total disappointment. Plus it's only got a Meg engine, makes fair power but you wouldn't bother dropping the windows when you run it through a tunnel.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The fast cars got faster, but they shift infinitely more underpowered heaps. They see no problem sticking a 1.6 Diesel into a Skoda Superb, or sticking a 1.5 Diesel in a Gashqui, dogshit slow.

But is it? In the past, that Superb would probably have had a normally aspirated 2.0-litre with about 130-140bhp. With TDI torque, the diesel will probably feel quicker to most people. Not to mention that most people don't give a monkey's uncle anyway.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
But is it? In the past, that Superb would probably have had a normally aspirated 2.0-litre with about 130-140bhp. With TDI torque, the diesel will probably feel quicker to most people. Not to mention that most people don't give a monkey's uncle anyway.

Looking at it you got the 1.9 PD. The first generation Superb got 184ft/lb Torque in the base Diesel.

Today you get.............................................................184ft/lb

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
You don't come to a forum such as this if you're most people, though

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I give it 5 years before Renault shelve Alpine for everything but F1.
The average consumer isn’t going to buy a sporty car from an obscure brand.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
I give it 5 years before Renault shelve Alpine for everything but F1.
The average consumer isn’t going to buy a sporty car from an obscure brand.
It won’t be an obscure brand. It’ll be the norm when the range expands. It’ll be sold in Renault dealerships. People who are in the market for a sporty clio or Megane will know what Alpine is

Status
Not open for further replies.