ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No test drive

205 mi16
Went along to my local reno dealer today to look at a 172 Cup. I would never buy second hand from a dealer but just wanted to know how they drove as i've never driven one. The salesman gives it "we aren't insured for a 20 year old to drive such a high performance car" lol. The only way i could drive it is if i were to give him 10k for the car!!!!

Anyone else heard such stupidity?

205_1.9 said:
Went along to my local reno dealer today to look at a 172 Cup. I would never buy second hand from a dealer but just wanted to know how they drove as i've never driven one. The salesman gives it "we aren't insured for a 20 year old to drive such a high performance car" lol. The only way i could drive it is if i were to give him 10k for the car!!!!

Anyone else heard such stupidity?

seen u comin m8.................lol
different society would make the difference .
welcome to cs ;) .

tiTTy & SV650
tell him u earn £20k and are looking for a new car, u won't buy till u get a test drive.

MINI JCW
The thing is he has called it spot on, you had no intention of buying the car from him so he had no intention of giving you a test drive.

it must be tricky for dealers as they must get so annoyed with people just turning up to drive the cars, but they have to let people drive them or they wont buy them

53 Clio's & counting
same with us at work mate,we have people coming in to say 'can u let me out in a new golf gti or r32'
prob is mate samesman dont see it as a sale,all he r32's we have sold at work were sols with out a test drive because the people who were buying them new what they wanted

RenaultSport Clio 182
I test drove a brand new 182 at 20 from a Renault dealer, but the salesman had to go with me.

tiTTy & SV650
who the fcuk buys without a test drive?! and how do u know what you want until you've driven it???

53 Clio's & counting
the type of customers we have just buy on looks,they dont look after there cars tbh,and if ya got the 30 grand to pay out u got more to sell it and buy somethin else lol

Der Panzer
I didn't even open the door to have a look inside. Knew what I was getting and the rest was covered by warrently and my ability to complain like a b**ch.

tiTTy & SV650
I had a test drive in a mk2 172 and said oooh er the seating position sucks and went and ordered a 182 anyway.

R35 GTR
I went to renault yesterday and said I wasnt wanting to buy for at least 2/3 months, but I want a test drive, and got a go in a shitty megane 225

I was in jeans and t-shirt and hadnt washed for 2 days.lol.

Der Panzer
It amazing what appearances do. My mate went in suited and booted in an Laguna Repmobile, got to play with a couple of beemers. If he' been in jeans they would have told him to F off.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
i had a test drive in a 182 when they first came out and told the salesman i was not going to buy for at least 3 months, same with the focus st i went in christmas time told them i was not thinking of buying a car until June time but i wanted to take a testdrive while they had a demo car there.
as for apperance TBH don't think it makes to much differance i booked a testdrive in the petrol and diesel new civic after i came back from shooting in full camo gear, i think as long as you turn up in a decent car you should have no problem

One with a few more
Lol! I've driven the 130 msport and I'm 19!!
We were in the VW place looking at the new R32, ironically. The byfriend is after one. He always liked the old one but now has fallen in love with the new one. We didnt want a test drive either we know its a good car!

tiTTy & SV650
Alan said:
Rory your so warm...

Warm like Scrappy Doo?

scrappydoo.jpg

106 GTi
Walk away and find another dealer. Never ever been refused a test drive on anything. Wasn't allowed to take a Paxo VTS out unacompanied once though! LOL

i have had that probs load of times the honda place in liverpool said you had to be 25 to test drive a type r so teld them to f**k of and i was gonna buy a rx8 whent in with me mates in just trackys and that and the sales man just looked at us like a load of w*****s saying do you what thies cars cost have you looked at the monthly payment can you afford the insurance ect ect and it was not till i said well iv got £8000.00 cash and a car to trade in outside then he was like ow well then sir
they are just a load of w*****s they need to learn that it is young people that buy good cars now not old people

dont buy an rx8 they are slow as fook

205 mi16
i was interested in the car but can you blame me for not wanting to go through with it. I mean 10k for a 30k mile Cup.

Just wait until i can afford a trophy i guess...

Never had any trouble personally, took the 172 Cup out on my own for 45 minutes before buying it and I'm early 20s, gave me the keys and told me to make sure I came back and that any speeding fines will be mine.

Mate got refused on a 350Z recently though, he's 29 and had the £25k or whatever ready to buy it, they only let him sit in it and switch the engine on. Went elsewhere and bought one!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I knew i wanted a 182 without a test drive as my dad has owned two 172's. But after doing the deal at Renault, the lady (very nice btw;)) said do i want to take out the 182 parked outside. So i took it for a baz on my own for no real reason as i had already ordered mine. I was 22, looked about 18 though! But i definately think appearance makes a difference, i test drove a bmw 330 convertable when i was 22 as was thinking of turning into an old man and getting one, didnt do it for me so got a 182 :)

When i was looking for a 172, i had the money, and the salesman knew this. He only had a CUP in at the time though. And just because i said i wasnt sure if i wanted a CUP or a FF, he wouldnt let me take it out for a drive. He said that i would only be driving it to thrash it, as i wasnt really interested in it.

What a t**t he was, as a few months later i went and bought a CUP from a different garage. He was more interested in trying to get me to sign up for a 182 and put the rest on finance.