ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise Cancelling Headphones

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Strange question this one.

If I buy some Bose noise cancelling headphones and use them to watch tv in the same room as someone who is snoring loudly will it block them out totally?

Hopefully someone will have a set they can try out for me :)

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I have some Goldring ones with the expanding foam ear buds, so not exactly noise cancelling but it's amazing how much noise just the foam blocks out. Can be a bit disorientating if you remove them in a busy place though. Might be worth it unless you want to spend loads on some proper noise cancelling ones.

Megane
Get the QC15 :D I tried that after having the QC3, and it is streets ahead of it in the sound in my opinion

Go cry to your momma!
The Bose ones were reviewed on the gadget show 2 weeks ago - they came out top I think?

Have a look on the site for the review, they compare them with some sonys and another brand..

Megane
The Bose ones were reviewed on the gadget show 2 weeks ago - they came out top I think?

Have a look on the site for the review, they compare them with some sonys and another brand..

Urgh, I tried Sony, made me feel sick.

If Bose can't get NC Headphones right they should close because they are really common in helicopters and planes.

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Bose ones are awsome, but you do get what you pay for. If you think you will use them a lot (awsome for plane journeys as well!) and can afford them i would say go for it. If you are not going to actually use them very often probably not worth the outlay.

Fiesta ST3
Get the QC15 :D I tried that after having the QC3, and it is streets ahead of it in the sound in my opinion

+1 i tried on the qc15 at the bose shop last weekend and they are awesome alot nicer than the qc3 just got to be able to justify the £279 price tag:eek:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the info, going to have to take a trip over to the york shop to have a gander I think.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Urgh, I tried Sony, made me feel sick.

If Bose can't get NC Headphones right they should close because they are really common in helicopters and planes.
The Sony made you feel sick, how?

I have the Sony digital ones which were on the gadget show, they are simply amazing.

I tried the Bose too and they really weren't as good IMO.

The Sony have a button to test the noise you are in and change accordingly, so it will be different depending on wither you are on a train, plane or general noise.

They also have a button to mute the sound and noise cancelling to listen to people without having to take them off.

Plus they are cheaper now too, they were £280 when they came out but can be got or £200 I think now.

Friend of mine is a brand wh0re and has Bose dock and Bose everything else and he wanted some of these and asked me about the Sony, then he went through an airport, tried both and also walked out with the Sony.

They are very good.

Megane
dk,

I don't know which you are referring to but the ones I tried were the Sony MDR-NC60 which seem to be alot cheaper than the price you quote. The sound was just so lacking and poor.

The benchmark I compare to is pretty much the Shure SE-530 or my Sennheiser HD595 as I like the sound profile of these two. The Sony I tried, which I suspect is different to the one you had, introduced distortion at the high end, lacked bass, had very dull mids and the highs were also really rolled off too. They had a really annoying fit (compared to the QC15), as well as a hum which I never got with the Bose.

Having just looked on the net, I think you may have the NC500? If so I can't comment having not tried them.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The Sony made you feel sick, how?

I have the Sony digital ones which were on the gadget show, they are simply amazing.

I tried the Bose too and they really weren't as good IMO.

The Sony have a button to test the noise you are in and change accordingly, so it will be different depending on wither you are on a train, plane or general noise.

They also have a button to mute the sound and noise cancelling to listen to people without having to take them off.

Plus they are cheaper now too, they were £280 when they came out but can be got or £200 I think now.

Friend of mine is a brand wh0re and has Bose dock and Bose everything else and he wanted some of these and asked me about the Sony, then he went through an airport, tried both and also walked out with the Sony.

They are very good.

Which model are they, I am open to any other makes, just thought the general consensus with NC headphones is bose is best :eek:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yea I do, the 500d, first digital noise cancelling headphones, nothing else from Sony cone close and you can't really compare anything other than these with the Bose really.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The sony mdr-nc500d I think.

If the gadget show review is online, think they came out top or got the same stars I think.

Megane
The sony mdr-nc500d I think.

If the gadget show review is online, think they came out top or got the same stars I think.

I'll definitely give them a whirl and they are much better value than the Bose at £100 cheaper but I have always been skeptical about The Gadget Show reviews, they are done in a non-sensical way IMO. I know there is alot of this Bose Fanboy stuff and alot of people that hate it too. I personally don't look at make when buying something, I just want the top performer.

CNET did a review

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/ and the bose comes out tops, but I am unsure about how biased CNET is, I think they favour certain brands. The Bose just really blew me away being the first I used, and the QC15 added the base, lows and comfort that the QC3 lacked. Plus they have been in this game for years, Sony make everything.

If I was you OP, I would boot the person out of the room (or out of my life depending on my mood) :D

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If I was you OP, I would boot the person out of the room (or out of my life depending on my mood) :D

His house though :eek:

I still live at home (only 20 before anyone starts) and my dad insists on falling asleep in every program i watch, this seems the easiest solution since when i wake him it is my fault all of a sudden lol

Where could i try the sonys? Do sony shops have them to try out like bose do?

Edit: Bargain :D http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00165TAVS/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Megane
His house though :eek:

I still live at home (only 20 before anyone starts) and my dad insists on falling asleep in every program i watch, this seems the easiest solution since when i wake him it is my fault all of a sudden lol

Where could i try the sonys? Do sony shops have them to try out like bose do?

Edit: Bargain :D http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00165TAVS/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Aah my bad, I thought it was a partnership thing :D

Yeah I noticed that, same price at Play.com with possibility of cashback via Quidco. I tried the NC60 at Apple store, they have the Bose too, never seen the NC500 there, but I wasn't looking. If Apple have it on their site (which they do I think) they should have it in store too. They have some test sets in the back if they don't have it out so just ask :D

My Sony Centre won't even stock these due to lack of demand so probably not.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Wow, those amazon reviews seem to back up my thoughts.

I fly quite a lot and use the train a lot too when working in London and once I hae these babies on when listening to music I cant here a thing around me. I sometimes just press the button to hear the outside noise so I can hear just how much is being filtered out.

What you shouldn't do with nc headphones though is just put them on without any music on. They aren't really designed to make things silent, they block out moat noise but when you add music in at a very low volume they are so good, can only hear the music.

I've not seen the Sony on display anywhere to try, only in boxes in stores. I went to a tradeshow and heard them there. Think they claim 99 or 98% noise reduction.