ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise while pulling away / low speed manoeuvring

2004 Clio II 1.6 16V
Hi guys,

I have a 2004 Clio II 1.6 16V that I picked up last month. It was fine up until 2 weeks ago when it developed a noise that seems to come through the steering (I think).

It only occurs when the car is warm, and even so only while pulling away or parking up. I have attached a video. Has anyone come across this before? I tried searching the forums and Google but get a lot of generic results that don't sound like this, or refer to the PAS in other Clio's that use hydraulic systems.

Really struggling as while parked up for a bit the noise goes away, making it difficult to get out of the car and hear it!

Attachments

• ClioNoise.mp4
    9.1 MB
Get someone to stand outside when you are pulling away / stopping.

I think it might be brake pads touching the discs, or maybe a stone stuck between them?

Conor L

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio Mk2
Had this noise on a Ford C-max at work turned out to be a siezed caliper, does the car roll freely?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2004 Clio II 1.6 16V
Yeah it can roll freely. It's intermittent and only occurs when warm but it's still able to move just fine when it happens, no resistance. You can feel it through the steering wheel though.

Tracking the noise down has proven difficult as it seems being idle for even a few moments makes it go away. This is why I thought it might be to do with PAS but it does sound more like brakes.

Any weird wear marks (or lack thereof) from the seized caliper?

Conor L

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio Mk2
Hmm strange unless it's only sticking slightly normally if the brakes get hot you'll see the hub of the disc turn red and the face glaze also youd be able to smell burning brakes if they get really hot. If you think its brakes then next time it makes the noise might be worth feeling around the face of the wheel to see if 1 of them is hot as that will indicate a problem

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does sound brake/calliper related. As @Conor L says - a simple temperature check might help track down the issue. Be careful though, I've done it in the past where my fingers got too close to a calliper and those things can get HOT.

Alternatively - front wheel bearing perhaps? Not sure how they would sound if they started to fail when warm? The rears usually just drone when they are on their way out.

2004 Clio II 1.6 16V
So you guys seem to be pretty bang on! There is a big temperature difference after a drive. Passenger side disc is very very hot, while the driver's side is kinda hot but cool enough to touch. Brake test pulls to the left.

Driver's side caliper??

Conor L

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio Mk2
So you guys seem to be pretty bang on! There is a big temperature difference after a drive. Passenger side disc is very very hot, while the driver's side is kinda hot but cool enough to touch. Brake test pulls to the left.

Driver's side caliper??
Glad we could help if the passenger side is hotter and it pulls to the left then I'd say that's where the issue is on the passenger side.

2004 Clio II 1.6 16V
I'll pull the wheels off tomorrow and have a proper look, cheers for the help. I'll defo post an update if the culprit is locked down...!

2004 Clio II 1.6 16V
Hi guys, cheers again for the help. Had a look at the passenger disc and pads first and the problem was pretty clear. There was a good amount of corrosion/road gunk build up on the rear side of the disc causing the pad to stick when it was hot. Caliper itself looked okay.

Cleared that out and it seems fine now, no more weird noise. Brake feel is better and no abnormally hot discs from normal driving. Need new discs and pads all round though, it's clear the previous owner didn't do a lot of miles - these have been on here a loooong long time!