ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

noob q - canon firment sigman lense

Trophy #267
With all the bargains around at present im looking at my 1st zoom lens to compliment the kit lens on the 350d.
My thoughts are the sigma 70-300 http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod220.html or the APO version if funds allow. However, I understand the fitment type for Canon is EF / EF-S which is clearly a substantial price increase on the budget Sigma ones.
I assume that the 'canon fit' sigma lenses will work but not sure what the EF signifies or if it just a Canon reference which is assumed in non canon made equipment.

im confused

canon fit means its designed to be used on a canon a nikon fit to fit (i will let you guess)

ef is the designation of lenses designed for full frame cameras ef-s for crop bodys like yours

but i dont understand what you mean by
"I understand the fitment type for Canon is EF / EF-S which is clearly a substantial price increase on the budget Sigma ones."

what substantial price increase?

oh and only get the apo version

Trophy #267
My apologies, apart from typing the thread title wrong, i didn't make my initial post too clear.
Searching the lenses and stating an 'EF' fitment gives Canon only branded lenses which all are outside of the price bracket of the basic sigma ones.
However, having searched and found a v similar page on wikipedia that BluePete linked to above gives a bit more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_mount

Effectively, 'Canon fit' means EF or EFS mount but not with 100% compatability, hence it not being officially branded so (and possibly for copyright).

That in mind, anyone care to elaborate whether the Sigma one i initially posted about is more EF or EF-s compatible ? Oh and APO it is then :) thanks

its an ef lens as it was designed for full format cameras

yes only genuine canon lenses cant be ef or ef-s due to them been trademarks

but canon fit lenses will work and 99.9% of the time work 100% just occasionally they can be a bit oddball
just because its not a canon lense does not mean its bad either the 70-300 apo is a great lens for its price and much better than the cheap canon version