ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NOS 172!

I have read some past topics and I came across a NOS 172 (250hp) I am wondering if he/she is having any problems with the engine. Can the transmission hold up without any mods?? By the way I m not v.familiar with NOS stuff can anyone tell me like..... how they feel more like how does it react when its been injected into the system?

Thx!

NOS (actually a US nitros company), is N20. When injected it breaked down under the engines heat to create nitrogen and oxygen. This has the same effect as having a better flowing head as more air can get in. This allows you to increase the amount of fuel to be burnt with the increased mass of oxygen.
There are 2 basic systems, a wet kit and a dry kit. A wet kit is good for up to 200-300BHP and the easiest solution as it injects fuel and N20 into the induction system (after the air filter and before the inlet manifold) at the same time through a shared nozzle. A dry system injects nitro through a nozzle in the same place or drilled into the inlet manifold, and the increase in fuel is supplied by the engines own injectors which just spray more thn normal. It does this by using the N20s pressure to squeeze more fule through the fuel regulator. These are the basic s but there are many hundreds of systems.
the effect is hard to explain as the nozzle injects a constant flow of N20 at any given rpm. You have to understand that it feels fast at first because the given mass of N20 at say 2000rpm is being cut up into 2000 peices. At 6000rpm, its cut up into 600 peices, and thus, less gas in each cylinder and less power. Torque is increased massively at low rpm, and at max rpm, however much hp the kit is fitted with. You can bget computer controlled progressive kits which change the amount of N20 inected at different rpm, so it increases the amount of N20 injected at high rpm to sustain the torque and make best use of the high rpm.
very vauge and sorry be being wishy washy.

well, this is always a hard ques. If you have, say a 10 lbs bottle, with a 50bhp shoot and progressive controller, and u use it almost all the time, not long. But with frequent use, you can make it last a good week, racing the odd dumbass from the lights.
you can get 15 or even 20 lbs bottles which will last ages. I think someone once said somewhere that a 10 lbs bottle with a 50bhp shoot on continuousely will last for about 12 mins...i think.

My mate has a Williams 3 with 195bhp at the flywheel - before his NOS jets of 50bhp. His car seems to be standing up well to it. He uses it now and again just to blow things away (like my car!!) in the unlikely event that they are getting close to him in a race. Seems to last a while if you use it this way - maybe about 20 bursts of 30 seconds or more...

my mate is a mechanic, he fitted nos on his VTR, now his brother gettin some as well and he said we can have a kit for 250 each and hell put it on for me, but im concern that my clio may not be able to handle it, can a 1.2 16v handle a 25 hp jet?

Lionel Richie

it could take it i reckon, but in the long run it may cause problems. Also, i dont know about the fly by wire throttle and how well it would work with NO2

FRED
mines a MK1 model without the fly by wire throttle, anyway have you had a quote from Powerflow yet? as im interested in the same thing, plus does the piperx give a loud roar on the 1.2 16v?

BMW 320d Sport

My system runs 60bhp jets and an 11lb bottle and I doubt very much it would fire for 12 minutes continuously. The last couple of pounds of nitrous arent much good as it starts to turn to vapour rather than liquid. It would last you a week or two with a few 5 or 10 second hits every day.

i thought if you mounted it with the bottle valve facing down, then tehe liquid would always be near the top....? Well, its just what NOS said...

Lionel Richie

Powerflow said £160 for a backbox, but my mate (jon16v) paid £145 (i think, jon??? can you confirm??) plus a load of replacment pipe cos his exhaust was rusted. I want the CAT off so i guess £250ish for a full system

Lionel Richie

Oh yeah, the Pipercross sounds good, but it isnt that loud inside the car cos of sound deadening. The engine has more low down pull, but i dont think it has got any more bhp maybe even 1 or 2 less!!! It felt a bit quicker, but thats probably the psychological factor "its louder, so its quicker!!!!"(ie Nova with a Big Bore 4!!! The owner thinks hes in a ferrari!!!)

i dont know whether to get a Powerflow 3in jap style or go for a devil motorbike stlye backbox,but devil probably cost a bomb!

The Monk - What sort of NOS Kit is it?
Wet or Dry?
Thats sounds like a bargain for £250.
Which town are you getting it done in?

Cheers m8