ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nVidia Shadowplay

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Probably preaching to the converted here, so apologies if you're already aware of it!

Basically nVidia has got a Beta release of a capture software called Shadowplay. It requires an nVidia card of 650 spec and above and I had a dabble with it first thing this morning.

Managed to capture about a minutes' worth of BF4 footage for approximately 740MB or drive space. Little to no impact on the game that I could see and very smooth playback afterwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Shadowplay

I think FRAPS for me will be taking a back seat. Especially as Shadowplay is inbuilt into the Geforce Experience anyway. Give it a try!

D.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
Yeah I need to have a play with this, FRAPS and the MSI app always killed my frame rate when recording.

Havent looked into this but since ive uprgraded to a 770 i may have a dabble. Is it hotkey bound so I can start/stop whenever i please, and it will just fill up whatever folder I tell it too with clips?

Something Not French
Havent looked into this but since ive uprgraded to a 770 i may have a dabble. Is it hotkey bound so I can start/stop whenever i please, and it will just fill up whatever folder I tell it too with clips?

Yes and yes. I used it (briefly) and costs maybe 5% drop in performance on max setting. Overall, a great piece of free software.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does fraps affect frame rate when not recording? Probably a stupid question.

According to nVidia (and as SnapMonkey says) - it's supposedly a 5% overhead to make the recording? Pretty impressive.

Yes m8. It defaults to Alt+F11 for the manual recording stop & start - but you can assign a key of your own. There's a folder path option of where it dumps the file too, which I just created a C:\Shadowplay folder - I think by default it goes to your Videos folder.

A small green dot appears in the lower right when recording is active. Very slick and easy to use - and its still Beta :)

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I forgot to add - the software even created a Battlefield 4 sub folder in my C:\Shadowplay folder and put the recording there, with a filename based on the time stamp.

It must have some way of checking what app is running (****.exe check up list?) and create a relevant folder all on its own. Clever stuff.

D.

Evo 5 RS
Used it in BF4 / Titanfall. It works pretty well. Earlier builds had a few VRAM leaks but seems mostly sorted now.

Has anyone had a play with the settings yet?

I recorded a couple of laps on Assetto Corsa over the weekend, and the playback quality was horrendous :(

The game is running 1080p and looks immense, so im worried I havent set something up properly?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone had a play with the settings yet?

I recorded a couple of laps on Assetto Corsa over the weekend, and the playback quality was horrendous :(

The game is running 1080p and looks immense, so im worried I havent set something up properly?

Sounds a little strange? I've recorded perhaps 20 videos with it over about 15 games - without issue. I've even recorded and uploaded the following in order to help towards my Steam Community achievement :eek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSgmTJ_kr4

The only problem I came across was a pushed-out update for the Geforce Experience that stopped me being able to make recordings - regardless of what I mapped the recording key to. An uninstall and reinstall of it fixed that, however.

D.

Sounds a little strange? I've recorded perhaps 20 videos with it over about 15 games - without issue. I've even recorded and uploaded the following in order to help towards my Steam Community achievement :eek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSgmTJ_kr4

The only problem I came across was a pushed-out update for the Geforce Experience that stopped me being able to make recordings - regardless of what I mapped the recording key to. An uninstall and reinstall of it fixed that, however.

D.

Ill have a proper look at that when I get home, but it already looks way better!

Not had a problem with that so far, although I found that on one session I recorded 4 laps in total, around 8 mins of footage. When I checked the folder I had one file that was 8 mins long, it included all 4 laps. But I had a second file that was 4 mins long, that started midway through one of the laps! Couldn't work it out myself... its like it had started another recording ontop midway through lol.

But yeah i'll have another play with it tonight and update my findings, i'll try it across afew more games :)