ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OEM radio retrofit - Code input not showing?

BMW Z3 M & 182 FF
I've retrofit an original CD/radio in my 182, and while the unit turns on (well, it's backlit), the LCD screen in the dash doesn't show any information - So I can't input the code to unlock it.

Strangely the time is still showing up on the screen, so I'm not sure if it's completely broken or not - Could have the LCD be broken?

Worth mentioning that the cables and attachments plugged into the radio haven't been touched by the looks of it - so I'm pretty stumped...

Anyone got any ideas? Should I just swap out the screen and see if that does it? I've got the dash pulled out at the moment anyway so won't be hard work...

Thanks in advance!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Did the two wiring harnesses have to be switched over originally to stop an after market headunit from factory resetting every time the car was turned off?

Is there a Connects2/Steering wheel control module in the connection?

Finally, have you got the original one that was in there or did you buy another 'original' as there is a difference between the 'Tuner List' and 'Update List' (Or whatever they're called!).

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Did you fit the correct model head unit?

A 182 can be either Tuner list or Update list.

BMW Z3 M & 182 FF
There was an adapter plugged into the harness at the back, which in turn plugged into the aftermarket head unit that was iun the car when I got it. There is a steering wheel control on the car, but it was non-functional with the Sony radio that came with the motor.

If there's two models, it could be that I have the wrong one... I ordered what *looks* like the right unit on eBay but I could have been mistaken - Is there any way to know which part number is the right one for my car?

Thanks for the help.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Later cars were Update list. It says which model radio it is on the front. Generally if it’s an 05/55 plate it’ll be Update list.

Unfortunately I don’t know if anyone knows the change over point.

BMW Z3 M & 182 FF
OK cool it's an 05 and I think I have a Tuner List head unit, so I'll grab an Update List and see how I get on from there. Thanks for the advice.

BMW Z3 M & 182 FF
Later cars were Update list. It says which model radio it is on the front. Generally if it’s an 05/55 plate it’ll be Update list.

Unfortunately I don’t know if anyone knows the change over point.
Just to say thanks - I got the Update List and it's now working. Appreciate the help - Cheers.