ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

offsets

can somone give me a quick tutorial on offsets and what differences they make and what range i have to go for in a mark1 phase1 clio? cheers

BMW 320d Sport

Phase 1 Clio has a 36 offset, or at least a 16v does. The offset is a measure of how far away the flat mounting face of the wheel is from the centreline (half way between the outer and inner edge of the rim). If you had a wheel with its mounting face exactly half way between the outer and inner edge of the rim it would have a zero offset. If you got that wheel and put it on a milling machine and started to take metal off the mounting face so it got deeper and deeper into the wheel, you would be increasing the offset. On a car, the effect of this would be that the wheel would move inwards. So the more offset you have the more in the wheels are. The less offset you have, the more out the wheels are, which is why sometimes if you get a wheel with the offset too low, your wheels will stick out past the wheelarches and fail the MOT! You can even have negative offset, denoted by a - sign before the number, eg. -25. This would mean the mounting face is actually 25mm closer to the inner edge of the wheel from the centreline. Negative offset setups are quite rare on road cars, I would have thought because the further out the wheels are from the suspension, the harder the suspension has to work and more prone to failure it will be.