ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh god help

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Been at work today and the missus calls up and says the car is running funny and making a weird noise and juddering etc - the engine management light has come on also. The car has been fine, got oil and belts done about a year ago. Any ideas?

This could be the end for the 182 I feel as I can't mend it again.

Pearl Black Ph2 172
It could be something simple like the Coil pencils, peeps are gonna need a vid or better description to help though. Dont stress too much until its diagnosed professionally or had the codes read. Its friday night. You dont need the hassle. :) :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It could be something simple like the Coil pencils, peeps are gonna need a vid or better description to help though. Dont stress too much until its diagnosed professionally or had the codes read. Its friday night. You dont need the hassle. :) :)

182s have a coil pack.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Been at work today and the missus calls up and says the car is running funny and making a weird noise and juddering etc - the engine management light has come on also. The car has been fine, got oil and belts done about a year ago. Any ideas?

This could be the end for the 182 I feel as I can't mend it again.

Probably something fairly minor if its just happened suddenly like that, just get a fault code reader on it as a starting point.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I had a dodgy coilpack on my ph1 and it was undriveable. On idle it sounded nasty so didn't even want to run it much.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Let's hope as would be gutted if I had to part with her!!! How much is a coil pack ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
secondhand in working condition about 20 quid or so, injectors are another strong possiblity and they arent much dearer for a secondhand set.

its unlikely to be a big drama mate, chill out :)

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I will do a vid tomorrow but it sounds very very odd and not running right. Sounds like a V8

One of my coil packs went on me.
What I got in return was:

Violent juddering, Engine management light and SERV light pop up, and it was horribly un-drivable. Wont reach revs, massively sluggish etc.
Sounds like you have the same thing. Hopefully.

You can get aftermarket pencil coils, I got a whole new set of 4 (I would recommend doing this as if ones gone its going to put more strain on your next weakest one and that one will eventually go and youre back to square one! So a full brand new set will be ideal), but I got a whole new set of aftermarket ones for 60quid for all 4.
However its always best to get the original official Renault supplied ones.. only if youre rich. Theyre around 80quid for ONE. Nevermind 4.

But if it is a coil id recommend changing all 4.
I changed 1.. 1 month later the next one went, changed that and then more time down the line another went. Got a brand new set of 4, been fine eversince.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ive got a coilpack i can post down if your wanting mate, 10 quid + postage.

The mountings are cracked, they all do this though.. other than that it works fine and is actually pretty new.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Cheers for all your help chaps - how easy is it to change - do I need to do anything with the management light etc or will that turn off once fixed?

Sod's law I need the car today

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Even a nutless retarded ape can change the coil pack. 4 bolts is all. Take engine cover off. Remove 4 bolts unplug leads from pack remove. New pack in away you go.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Does it smell really bad? Like rotten eggs?

Mine smelt like that when my HT leads went, which blew the coilpack. So i replaced leads and coilpack and i was sorted.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
^^^ bingo - car will be back to normal tomorrow night:)
If I drive it later will it mess the car up - I need to play footie but don't want to knacker it

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Had some mobile mechanic come look at the car and confirmed it was the HT leads and plugs. He was a top boy and enjoy working on the 182, best line "what power is this ? 130bhp ?" I said a few more than that. He charged me 40 quid and he's coming over tonight with the parts and will fit them for no further charge. He also gave me a diagnostics thing ma jig.

He's going to do my suspension refresh now too.

I think I might marry him.

The missus is binned.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I'm well happy as it means it'll be running sweet again.

Next up suspension refresh
Alloy need sorting
Get the little dents out
Oh and I'm saving for a S/C conversion now my loans have all gone away.