ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil dissapearing ?

Titanium 182
Right car is going in for its belts at Birchdown on the 18th (Feb) so Ideally if this is something like head gasket (although I don't think it is) I would like to know before then so I can get it sorted whilst the belts are off.

Basically a month ago I changed my radiator changed the radiator fluid my oil and oil filter. Refiled it with the proper stuff expensive valvolene jobby.

I also changed my digital oil level sensor for the dash reading as I thought it was faulty. (Now I don't think it was)

Checked the oil was all the way up to the top notch, fine good. "000000"

Now a month (and a bit) later the oil is half way between the 2 notches on the dipstick. digital reading "000---"

Now I thought oil leak !, can't find a sign of one anywhere. no oil on the garage floor etc. So unless it's dripping down the back then I've ruled that one out.

Next I thought head gasket ? But there's no black smoke ever and white smoke only on start-up on cold mornings like most cars... the expansion bottle also doesn't have any mayo or smell of oil.

Also the exhaust tip isn't excessively stained with unburnt petrol/oil.

The car will return 35mpg if nursed at 50-60 mph. Normally it is about 27-28 mpg driving around town, definitely worse than my 182 was on fuel.

Help !

Might just be what they do - the valvers and williams drink oil like petrol lol

I can do half a litre or more in 400 miles of 'spirited' driving going somewhere LoL

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I have heard of some RS;s drinking 1L of oil every 3-4k mate... Mine doesn't do it but IIRC grays and a few others do use a bit of oil.

Titanium 182
Grrr, guess I'll just have to get the Kevs to have a look whilst they're in there.

Pisses me off though, bottle of oil is like £20-£30 and if it needs one every month :/

Golf GTD Mk7
What's wrong with the oil being between the two notches on the dip stick? that's where it's supposed to be

Golf GTD Mk7
Fare point ;). The main point was after the car has been running it needs time to drain back to the sump.

Titanium 182
Fair* ;)

And if it hasn't drained back to the sump after it's been sat on my drive all night then someones joyriding in it at about 5am every morning.

Golf GTD Mk7
Fair* ;)

And if it hasn't drained back to the sump after it's been sat on my drive all night then someones joyriding in it at about 5am every morning.

lol. Didn't want to have to tell you ;)

Sounds like a strange on then. Not leaking from the filter? If it was coming from the cam cover you would be able to see oil in the bay. 1 litre though and you'd definately notice it. Remove the undertray and see if there is any major deposits on that?

Could be something more serious like valve seals :S

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well Clare's (my other half) 182 has a similar drink problem. Can fill it to the top mark of the dipstick and it will be back down to halfway ish within about 6 weeks or so.

I had to re-seal the cam cover bolts a good 2 years back as they were leaking but this didn't really cure it, but we both did a RR about 2 years ago and whilst my Cup made 177, hers did 167 and belched out a big cloud of soot as it hit the limiter.

Her car is nowhere near as hard driven as mine which kinda suggests its coked up somewhat so maybe thats why it drinks alot.

Titanium 182
Aye, if it was valve seals I'd see it burning oil though ? not seen any black smoke ever.

can't see it leaking anywhere but I'm unwilling to fondle my engine bay in this cold.

Golf GTD Mk7
if it's going to birchdown I'm sure Steve will be able to advise. Maybe they don't like being overfilled. Should only be the middle of the dipstick really. If you add the 5.1L anyway

Titanium 182
Well Clare's (my other half) 182 has a similar drink problem. Can fill it to the top mark of the dipstick and it will be back down to halfway ish within about 6 weeks or so.

I had to re-seal the cam cover bolts a good 2 years back as they were leaking but this didn't really cure it, but we both did a RR about 2 years ago and whilst my Cup made 177, hers did 167 and belched out a big cloud of soot as it hit the limiter.

Her car is nowhere near as hard driven as mine which kinda suggests its coked up somewhat so maybe thats why it drinks alot.

That's a good shout actually, it is a Y reg so maybe I should try some of those cleaning things they do ?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
if it's going to birchdown I'm sure Steve will be able to advise. Maybe they don't like being overfilled. Should only be the middle of the dipstick really. If you add the 5.1L anyway

No, the top mark of the dipstick is where it should be after an oil change and thats where it should remain.
Obviously its not the end of the world if it drops to half way but the top mark is where it should be.

Golf GTD Mk7
No, the top mark of the dipstick is where it should be after an oil change and thats where it should remain.
Obviously its not the end of the world if it drops to half way but the top mark is where it should be.

You sure about that? If that's the case then my 182 has always done it. never had any issues and no leaks either. A few track days probably didnt do it much good though ;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
That's a good shout actually, it is a Y reg so maybe I should try some of those cleaning things they do ?

Yeah maybe. What fuel do you run it on? Does it get run hard ALL of the time or just once or twice a week?
Also depends on your type of running. Lots of short, cold running journeys or does it get nice and warm?

Edit: How many 'runs' can you get in a post? lol

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
You sure about that? If that's the case then my 182 has always done it. never had any issues and no leaks either. A few track days probably didnt do it much good though ;)

Im wondering whether its an air-con/climate control trait?

Titanium 182
Yeah maybe. What fuel do you run it on? Does it get run hard ALL of the time or just once or twice a week?
Also depends on your type of running. Lots of short, cold running journeys or does it get nice and warm?

It gets poverty shell 95 ron and I boot it once a day but I don't drive it mad everywhere. It is a lot of stop start traffic on the way to work though.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well the extra work the engine is doing to power the pump. Im wondering whether it has any bearing on oil consumption.
Obviously it won't be the primary cause but it might be contributing.

If its not burning or leaking it....where does it go?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
It gets poverty shell 95 ron and I boot it once a day but I don't drive it mad everywhere. It is a lot of stop start traffic on the way to work though.

I think maybe a combo of urban traffic driving and (dare i say it) poor fuel isn't helping.
They are a bit sensitive to the way they are driven.
They do go, in a way, 'tight' if they don't get stretched. I find mine always responds better after a good hard run.
Not often.....maybe twice a week.

Also depends on how it was driven early in its life.

Titanium 182
Once I've had it serviced with new plugs and stuff I'll get them to put some engine + fuel cleaner in too then rag its b****cks off round the dales. See if that sorts it. Probs will.

Mine managed to use half its oil within a couple of months. Topped it up and its been fine ever since :S Doesn't get driven hard very often as I mainly do shortish journeys and it doesn't get time to warm up.

330i. E30 Touring.
Birchdown will be able to point it out in no time, i'm sure.

Got me sumped, though.

Wahey!

nimbus r27
Mine was doing this infact the Same as u have described about your mrs 182 it turned out to be the valve stem seals and my oil was going down as much as yours too! Never smoked tho!:dapprove: