ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak, but not sure where from?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I have had the drip tray/splash guard off today and there is a fairly serious oil leak. The tray is pretty covered, only on the passenger side. The gear linkage is covered in oil as are other components in and around the area.

I thought it must be from the gear box so cleaned everything up and looked for the culprit. It seems to be coming from the top of the gearbox?? This seems a little weird to me (cos its the top) but thats where i have traced it to!! I have checked the gearbox oil level and its full so i have no idea what it is.

All fluid levels seem fine. I have no idea but am obviously worried. From what i can see all the rubber boots on the drive shafts (CV boots?) seem fine, one is weeping very slightly but very minor. Any help would be great. Pics on the way soon.

Thanks,
Will

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have that too (always had on the 172)
I heard/read on here somewhere that the selector weeps and is "normal" for the 1*2s :S

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Well its good to know its not just my car doin it! How much does yours leak, plus is it gearbox oil that leaks (so i know what to keep an eye on).

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Not 100% mate to be honest

no worries, cheers for your help. if its good weather tomorrow i will have more of a look. i was just hoping someone would just be able to say "yeah its this and you fix it like this". would make life easier. :cool:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My 172 gearbox is covered in oil but when I topped up the gearbox it had only lost 800ml in 132000 miles so I wouldn't worry if your levels are OK and it is gearbox oil (smells foul).

I couldn't smell it, i am a bit ill and was already covered in WD40, so i can't be sure what it smelt of. It seems to be alot of oil around the box and on the splash guard, but like i said levels seem good.

Another quick question which is not really related but where is the best place to put the axle stands?

"Navy" N17 TWO
no worries, cheers for your help. if its good weather tomorrow i will have more of a look. i was just hoping someone would just be able to say "yeah its this and you fix it like this". would make life easier. :cool:

Me too lol :p

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I use the chassis legs and jack from there also. The sill jack points look very weak to me and I saw loads of 172/182s with them folded over when I was looking for my 182.

yeah the previous owner has done that on one side of mine, it has been sorted out now tho.

i kinda wanna stop this leak, so will get it up on stands again tomorrow and have a better investigation.

cheers for the help guys.