ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm trying to reduce the number of oil leaks from my 172.
So far AW motorworks have replaced the rocker cover and sump gaskets, dephaser seal and rebuilt the gearbox, so I'm confident those aren't the issue.
The sump is covered in oil, and it seems to be coming from the front of the engine.
I've found the power steering pressure switch looks a bit oily, as do the hoses.
Any other common places to leak? The oil level sensor looks damp, but that might just be from the last filter change.

20220329_115034.jpg

172 Ph1
If it was that switch that was leaking then the PAS reservoir would be down on the level.
Any pics of the area where the oil is leaking ?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
The switches can leak through the center, mine was - easy to replace sensor is £30 from memory.

Agree with the above though that if the sump is covered the reservoir level would be down.

Can you give it all a degrease and scrub? Might make it easier to locate the culprit.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get in there with a can of brake cleaner and a thin paintbrush and clean it all up. Check it agin in a week and you should easily find your culprit.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If it was that switch that was leaking then the PAS reservoir would be down on the level.
Any pics of the area where the oil is leaking ?
The PAS is down a bit, but not enough to explain the amount on the sump.
I'll get underneath, give everything a clean and see what i can find. There is oil underneath the filter, but i suspect that's from the last change. I've got a goldplug magnetic sump plug, so I'll swap that back for a new OEM.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, those PAS switches are shite, they're common for weeping and you don't need much of it to create quite a mess. As @Daniel said, get some brake cleaner on it all, wash and dry it. A clean dry engine will soon show it up. I had my oil pan cleaned and re sealed late 2019 and its already starting to weep again. :(

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, those PAS switches are shite, they're common for weeping and you don't need much of it to create quite a mess. As @Daniel said, get some brake cleaner on it all, wash and dry it. A clean dry engine will soon show it up. I had my oil pan cleaned and re sealed late 2019 and its already starting to weep again. :(
Do you mean your sump?

:ROFLMAO: