ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil smells like petrol

Clio 172
Hi all

I changed the spark plugs on my clio 172 today, and whilst there checked the oil level.

What I did notice was that there was a smell of petrol.

Could this have been caused by the alternator issue whereby they wasn't enough power for the spark plugs to ignite the fuel? Or should I be worried that the piston rings are on there way out?

Ive got new oil and filter to go in, so should I wait to get it diagnosed first?

Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Could be a few things, i wouldn't drive it until you've nailed down the issue tbh! Could be injector or lambda pushing too much fuel through

d19wood

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 T , Megane
Mine did this and was caused by over fueling, luckily caught it before it ruined the bottom end.

Clio 172
Having a look, it would be the front lamba potentially causing the overfuelling? Anybody got a part number or where to get one from?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Drain the oil properly and get a good smell of that oil. If it reeks of petrol it could be a few things.
Worn piston rings, overfuelling causing bore wash amongst other things...

Clio 172
Cheers Kev, gonna be getting it to garage tomorrow to get it looked at along with soem other jobs which need doing👍