ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old car / New car

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Im wondering if the money I spend on maintaining my williams is as much as the depreciation on a 172/182....Ive been quite tempted to take out a loan a few times and treat myself to a Cup but Im not a great fan of being in debt...what do you reckon...Old car or new?

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Well I hate debt too but finally dragged my way out of it through buying the VTS as its been very reliable. (I went from a k reg rt to a x reg vts)

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Get the williams up to scratch pal...to start all over again on another is alot of fart arsing around and ALOT OF EXPENSE !!!!

Polo GTi

Hmm tough oen this I reckon Martin, you seem to have lost faith in your Willy like I did in my 16v money pits, is a Cup the answer I dont know, Cups are a fair bit more expensive to buy than the Willy for now, but appear to me to be in and out of Renault more than they should be, saying that the Warranty makes it a lot better to bear.

In my opinion the Cup is the only New Clio I would have, think they are excellent cars, and wouldnt go far wrong with one.

But on the other hand now, with your few years experience at owning a Willy, you could go out and buy a minter of a Willy for a lot less than a cup, and you will be able to spot all the commmon problems that come from owning them.

If it was me, Id go for a New to you Willy or a Cup, I certainly wouldnt spend any more money on yours to be brutally honest mate, cause your never gonna see the return, and your never gonna have the faith in it.

Decisions, decisions.....

Not a Clio

I know what you mean here.

When youve got a car thats costing you monthly, sometimes more than once a month with things needing to be replaced it can really add up.

My valver was costing me, I think its pretty much sorted for a good while now but having to spend so much kind of ruined my relationship with the car so I took out a loan and bought another car (mk3 astra gsi) only as soon as I had it this started costing me a fortune too as the head gasket went closely followed by the oil pump b+ a few other bits. Its now running ok but I spent over half what I bought the car for in the first few months. I really really regret not going for a bigger loan and buying something newer. I was almost tempted by a CTR but decided that I could not really afford to be paying it off for so many years.

My next car will either be new or at least bought from a dealer and have warrenty on it. I will never buy private again as theres just no security there.

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 18 November 2004

New

Got fed up with old cars, they are unreliable and rust.
Ditto that one, also makes more of an impression when you turn up in a new car rather than a ten year old one.

IMO I think if your into modifying, old is the only way to go as you can rip the car apart/change the spec dramatically without fear of invalidating warranty/HP agreements etc. New is good for piece of mind tho...

Martin - id be tempted to find a mint valver and then modify it, 2.0ltr...willy track, stripped out, different wheels, susp set up with coilovers and then either spend time restoring your willy back to how it was and have a track car and a work one or get rid of it!

Or id just be tempted to try and sort the rest of your motor out, paint, engine etc...as youve come this far so why not a bit further?

Personally i wouldnt go for a new one, i prefer the character of the older cars and to tell you the truth both seem to have a few problems with them but the newer ones are under warranty i suppose so it can turn out cheaper!

Although remember when u had finance on your saxo....dont think you wanna do that again do you!

Danny

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Get a list written of pros and cons of both pal...that will help you decide.. Then post it here for us to have a look at...change your mind.

Polo GTi

Yeah just think Martin you could get a 172 and make a big impression on people when you turn up, theyll go oooh look at Martin he must be hard up cant afford the insurance on his Williams anymore so hes gone and bought a 1.2 :p

Big decision mate, Older car owners will say old, Newer car owners will say new, we are all biased anyway

The Jinx

Ive owned both old and new and would never own new again. Particularly renaults and the mk2 clios. My mum now has the one I had and its going in tomorrow for its 2nd bit of warranty work in 36k miles.

In the 10months Ive had mine the only major work (not caused by crashing or vanity in wanting it changed) has been the alternator and column.

Dont do it mate. I also loathe the driving position in the mk2s.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

OMG!! I just added up all my reciepts for money spent on my car since I got it in May 2004.....I cant believe how much Ive spent!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

But alot of that cost is down to a bad experiance pal....Is that including the purchae price ?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Er no....thats just the reciepts in my car folder, doesnt include the 5k I originally paid (well 1800 after trade in) and the 2200 Ive paid on insurance!

Thats total is just slightly less than me, although mine is from Feb 2003. Scary amounts isnt it? Still, you have an mint, fast reliable car which shouldnt be forgotten...

Not a Clio

and i thought mine was costing me a fortune! I only spent about £2000 on it (bought it for £3k) and i got it late 2002!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 18 November 2004

Thats total is just slightly less than me, although mine is from Feb 2003. Scary amounts isnt it? Still, you have an mint, fast reliable car which shouldnt be forgotten...
Well sort of...its not mint, not really quick (IMHO) and reliable, well maybe reliableish would be more acccurate. I was expecting it to be around 6k but that really is a silly amount of money...I didnt think I could afford to spend that much in 18 months or so.

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels

Martin to sell it for decent money your gonna have to sort it anyway and get it runnin right otherwise your gonna get nothing back...so u might aswell sort it and use it yourself...then u know its running correct, if all it takes now to unleash the RALLY SL*G is the cam timin get it done then decide.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Get these cams sorted and timed in then the car will be back in the fast lane...

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 18 November 2004

Well sort of...its not mint, not really quick (IMHO) and reliable, well maybe reliableish would be more acccurate. I was expecting it to be around 6k but that really is a silly amount of money...I didnt think I could afford to spend that much in 18 months or so.
Mint Compared to mine! I spent all that on mechanical stuff...still got to deal with the rust, chips and dents yet. I know what you mean about spending all that money tho - i always thought this will be the last repair and kept extending my loan as a result. Thankfully, the car has become reliable now but im still left with 400quid a month repayments. Its never a nice feeling when youre skint 2 weeks after pay day...

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 18 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 18 November 2004

Just Modifications and maintenance......

£9771:eek:
Good Lord!!!! The price of a 53reg very low milage Cup there!
I know and TBH I know which Id rather have at the moment! Mines only a knats c**k quicker than a Cup even after throwing all that cash around....

Way i look at is that yeah, i could have had a 172/cup etc with the same money but itd have been standard and i couldnt have left it like that (like all the cars ive had). In the case of my valver, ive ripped it apart (or pissed about with depending on how you see things) and built a car thats to my taste. Ok its worked out about the same cost as a new car but the satisfaction arguement counts for a lot IMO...

The Jinx

Mines only cost me £2500 since Feb 2004, and thats including nigh on £1500 accident damage!

I think the old vs new debate doesnt apply here really!

I pay £126/month for a 2yr loan. I WAS paying £170 for the 02 dci but that was a 5yr loan. Thats a big wedge over 3 yrs.

In fact it works out that once Ive paid my loan off, and if I keep the car, Id have £7176 in my back pocket, excluding maintenance costs for both cars, and insurance has cost me no more on the valver.

Take off the £2500 Ive spent and that leaves £4676 to play with!

Old cars are therefore better.

Id never mod a NA car - your basically just thowing money away IMO as you never get it back and it costs 1000% more per BHP.

Thats why I bought my Williams - so I wouldnt mod - and I didnt.

Martin. are more appropriate sum would be the mechanical costs you "needed".

Old cars and new cars need Fuel so ignore that unless your planning a diesel.

Both need insurance so ignore that.

All you can really compare is the cost of things that go wrong with the old car and the depreciation on the new.

I went for 1 year and 10,000 miles in my Williams and never spent a penny on anything other than Fuel. Unfortunatly the timing belt needed done! That was a b**ch at £220 (£400 renault) - which is why im on a older ford - its timing belt was £60 fitted!