ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OMEX?

2005 Nissan Navara
The main benefit of an after-market ecu on a high-(ish)-ly tuned NA engine is that they ARENT speed density based, and so arent as delicate when we are looking at fluctuating inlet pressures. Yes, as Paul says they are typically alot simpler in terms of functionality, and this is a good thing for the above reason. They are also alot easier to map because of their simplicity, and better software manipulation.
Simpler doesnt necessarliy mean it does the job worse....in most cases they do it better, as its scrubbing engine control back to basics i..e giving the engine what it wants/needs when it wants it, with minimum hassle.

In the case of this turbo 182 where there arent the problems outlined above, I would suggest letting someone like Paul with experience of manipulating the stock managment have a bash at mapping it. In short the stock managment is capable of meeting your needs without any hassle, so long as its calibrated correctly.

Simpler doesnt necessarliy mean it does the job worse....in most cases they do it better, as its scrubbing engine control back to basics i..e giving the engine what it wants/needs when it wants it, with minimum hassle.

Why build the extra complexity into the standard ECU then?

Is it a case of balancing performance/reliabilty/driveability/fuel efficiency etc against just going for pure performance?

Megane Trophy
Broster - hello mate hows you? Sold the corsa then fella?

Omex we had on the stuart taylor and that was running throttle bodies. Cold start was fine and in 4 years we never had a problem.

RTD - based in towcester have a few nice ecus on the market now they could also be worth a look? We did live mapping with one of theres on the s2k engine in the dax.

2005 Nissan Navara

Why build the extra complexity into the standard ECU then?

Is it a case of balancing performance/reliabilty/driveability/fuel efficiency etc against just going for pure performance?

yes basically. The main constraint for manufacturers these days are emmisions really.The OE manufacturers have to account for alot more variables and conditions, giving a more finite operation. e.g. cars will be sold all over the world, so sea level, humidity, etc etc all have to be accounted for alot more. That isnt to say that you dont use these on afterrmarket units, but typically with just air-temp correction you get a very usable set-up.

This is likely the main downfall when aftermarket units are installed. Take cold start for example...often enough attention isnt payed, so you end up with a car/engine which is a b**ch to start when cold. If you spend the time setting up the basics before the "exciting stuff", then there really isnt any need for poor operation.

E39 M5 & Corsa track

Omex we had on the stuart taylor and that was running throttle bodies. Cold start was fine and in 4 years we never had a problem.

RTD - based in towcester have a few nice ecus on the market now they could also be worth a look? We did live mapping with one of theres on the s2k engine in the dax.

no still got it, having a slight rebuild at the moment, so got the clio as a run about, hows things.

this thread is going round in circles......... lol

Megane Trophy

no still got it, having a slight rebuild at the moment, so got the clio as a run about, hows things.

this thread is going round in circles......... lol

Whats plans for the corsa? I saw the name and clio and thought he would never move away from the corsa! Then I read the bit about jam sport and so on!

What do you think to the cup then? Love it?

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
As you said broster, easy to push the boundries of the OEM but in this case it is easily upto the job.

Paul