ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Onboard Crash Avoidance - Spa - Porsche 911 GT3RS vs Ferrari Scuderia - Close Call

Lotus Elise
Well, a change of pace from my last post on here, where I posted some onboard from my 40bhp (at best) 2CV in the 24Hr race :)

I was with a client at Spa yesterday who is an Elise Trophy/Lotus Cup UK driver and is racing at Spa in a few weeks. This trackday was a 300bhp+ day so he had to take his 997 GT3RS. We were approaching the Bus Stop chicance at 125mph when we came across a dawdling Ferrari Scuderia at about 20mph, he was just about to go in the pits but no signal and he was right on the raicng line. We braked as hard as possible but had to swerve to avoid what would have been a very expensive crash!!

Direct Link :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcdWj0dswDc

Maxx

Last edited by a moderator:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Re: Onboard Crash Avoidance - Spa - Porsche 911 GT3RS vs Ferrari Scuderia - Close Cal

Expected that to be an epic recovery, but just a simple miss really. Would have been a cheap crash.lol

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
Re: Onboard Crash Avoidance - Spa - Porsche 911 GT3RS vs Ferrari Scuderia - Close Cal

not sure it was the scuds fault tbh, seemed the gt3rs driver outbraked himself slightly or was expecting the scud to overtake at the bus stop?

Turbos.

Was that Ken Savage? Seeing from the your vids you seem to have a lot of involvement with the Lotus side of things...

He obviously wasn't thinking much there, but then it could have been his first track day. I would have thought the closing speed beforehand would have given a signal to Ken that he shouldn't of been 'on it' heading into the bus stop.

Lotus Elise

Was that Ken Savage? Seeing from the your vids you seem to have a lot of involvement with the Lotus side of things...

Yes, I work with a few drivers in the Lotus series' Ken, Stu Rowland, Dave Hay, Phil Stratton Lake, Andy Napier and a few others.

He obviously wasn't thinking much there, but then it could have been his first track day. I would have thought the closing speed beforehand would have given a signal to Ken that he shouldn't of been 'on it' heading into the bus stop.

It was a very restrictive 'experienced' only drivers day, 300bhp cars minimum. Closing speed is massive there anyway, 12mph+ approach into a 38mph turn-in so you wouldn't be too surprised, it was just that he was doing 20mph at best. At the point at which Ken swerved he would normally be doing 65mph.

Maxx

Last edited:
  Lotus Elise

not sure it was the scuds fault tbh, seemed the gt3rs driver outbraked himself slightly or was expecting the scud to overtake at the bus stop?

Just by the nature of the corner, heavy braking from 125 to 38mph and the fact that the Scud was coming into the pits and doing 20mph at a spot where Ken would have been doing 65mph and no doubt the Scud would have been around 60-ish then I'd say it was most definitely pretty stupid driving by the Scud. This is a speed trace from that lap and the next (red is the lap in the video). Braking is about the same for both, you can see where Ken has to brake extra hard and then ease off to swerve.

ken-brake.jpg

Maxx