ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions needed

MK2 Clio
IN short. No. It is cheap and unbranded for a reason, look at halfrauds for a easiness or get a second hand alpine one Some which are worth a look:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_774661_langId_-1_categoryId_165474 - good brand good quality £95
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_770517_langId_-1_categoryId_165474 - Brilliant brand with bluetooth £75
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_757025_langId_-1_categoryId_165474 - Good brand cheap and cheerful £60

It's the brand more than anything else for quality mate

MK3 GTI golf 16v
look for websites with offers, my mate got a £200 ish alpine for £80 in a sale

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Im heading down halfords on friday after college i recon , whats the crack with them wanting like 50 quid to fit the thing , will i tell them to Gtf and fit it myself . How would i go about fitting it , surely its not a straight swap ?

1.2 Dynamique
If you have steering wheel controls, they won't work and you would need to buy an adaptor.

You would need to buy a new plastic fascia for it to fit I think..

Check on caraudiosecurity, they are normally quite good on price.

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Proper gutted about the steering wheel controls :( yeah cheers mate ill have a look

clio 1.2 mk2 phase 1
Proper gutted about the steering wheel controls :( yeah cheers mate ill have a look

As already said above you can get adapters for the steering wheel controls , all depends on what headunit you get , I got my alpine headunit on eBay for £50 , had it for 2 years now and I've never had a prob . If you want quality get alpine lol

clio 182 'full fat'
i got a sony headunit brand new of ebay for 74 quid, went to halfords and seen the same one in their ''sale'' £230 lol some sale!!!

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i got a kenwood headunit half price for £100. you can find something good for £80 no problems, you may need a little plastic facia from halfrauds for like £8 extra but for god sake dont pay them £50 to fit the headunit.

as long as the headunit is compatible with your car (check online) and it comes with a new cluster of cables ( which it should because there attached generally) then it is a straight swap, take you 5 minutes mate. only issue is your steering wheel controls wont work, but to be honest you can buy the adapter for that at a later date if you really want it, there about £25 and a little tricker to fit. but the headunit is a straight swap so dont pay for them to do it

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I got a decent kenwood unit from argos (lol), only cost about 30quid. That was a while ago though, it does the job, and had an aux input which is all i really wanted to replace the naff cd player that came with the car.

clio 1.2 mk2 phase 1
not really just 4 wires but can be tricky getting the power wire to the battery and hiding all the other wires properly

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Where would the wires go to ? just under the carpet ect ? is there no chance i could wire it up wrong and end up torching my moter ect

MK3 GTI golf 16v
wires go under the plastic thats along the floor edge ( inside of the doors etc) it will just fold up behind it and then go around the rear seats. as for the one from the battery you can either go through the metal in the engine bay so it comes out under the dash, or through the passanger door jam, which means you can see it when the doors open. i can get pictures to show you what i mean if you want.

you will only torch your car if your a tard mate lol, the wiring kits come with a diagram, its pretty simple once you work out each wire

MK3 GTI golf 16v
oh and that package you picked out is a bit naff to be honest, the sub runs at 125 watts, my speakers run at over 250 rms let alone the sub. i would just get a headunit and either buy a second hand sub or save a little and buy a better one

clio 1.2 mk2 phase 1
if your happy with that mate then fer enough but you get what you pay for. as for the wires as said above wires go sown the side under the plastics the the powers wires a c**t i tried all the tips ie door and grommits ete etc but in the end i had to drill a hole through into the engine bay

MK3 GTI golf 16v
no worries mate, power cable is a bit of a b**ch to squeez down the side of the boonet and through the door jam, if you want me to send you pics i can

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Aye , im not overly fussed on quality , being still in school iv no dosh at all, hopefully dodging uni next year to just get a job then ill make bigger changes!

Ill get my dad to help me out with it and see how it goes !

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
easy as hell mate! 12v from the battery, remote 12v from the stereo, phono lead from the stereo and attach the negative to the boot catch rather than running it down the side of the car