ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

out comes the wallet :( new driveshaft?

1999 Clio Alize
hello to all, had a few probs with me car so got my mate to have a look at it for me. Got it up on the ramp and had a good look underneath, found out that the passenger side abs ring is heavily corroded and has cracked and lost alot of its teeth.

so out comes the wallet again i guess, just wondering on how much its goin to sting me? and what sort of time im looking at for fitting?

am i right in thinking i need a whole new driveshaft??

cheers liam

visualize whirled pe
Pass side Drive shaft is about £94+ vat from Renault with a £10 surcharge (they take the old one and re-con it)
I've tried a few places other than Renault and the price difference is only about £20 cheaper, unless you get one second hand or get your mate to get one at trade price for you.

Should be about 1 hr labor so £75 at renault or go somewhere cheaper.
Your mate can prob fit this for less (and in less time)

Then you may want new gearbox oil @ £18.

So at a main dealer roughly £200 :(

Both mine have gone (abs rings) and I don't have any torx tools to do the job myself. which is a pain in the ass.

TeZ

Non RS : (
i got mine done at a local mecahnical mate who did it for £100.

But yes you need it done.

Clio 172
Fitting isn't too difficult, your mate sounds like he knows what he's doing so get him to fit it, else any garage can do this sort of work.

mk4 golf gttdi180
if you get it from mega spares motormania etc ring up say your trade and you should be lookibg at 40-50 with surcharge just got one for a saxo 45.00 bargin

Iceburg 172FF
im getting both driveshafts replaced tomorrow, rang renauly manc for a price and they said 99.50 each inc vat. arnold shark are doing it for f all though since i bought a 2 year warranty when i got my 172 a few months ago!

1999 Clio Alize
well as I was at work today i went and saw my mate, rang up bennets who quoted me 65 quid inc which im guessing is not to bad? hoping to get it sorted asap, as im supposed to be getting my windows tinted this week aswell :S

would you recommend changing the gear box oil as well then?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
No choice but to put gearbox oil in, as when you pull the shaft out of the gearbox, it usually spills out all over :D