ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overcooked on a roundabout!

306 GTI-6
Had my first scare today.

Overcooked it going over a roundabout near me and experienced major understeer, ws heading straight for the pavement instead of round the roundabout. Could hear the tyres screeching, wound on some more turn on the wheel and eased off the accelerator, suddenly oversteer, but it snapped back towads the way I wanted to go and then managed to straighten up as i exited the r'bout.

Got a cheer of the local neds at the bus stop, gave them a thumbs up and carried on, with my heart giving it some to say the least!

Obviously what I did worked, but waht is the correct method of dealing with understeer?

306 GTI-6
cheers lol, not bragging just explaining what happened and looking for advice on the correct method of dealing with it. The neds only gave me acheer because they are stupid and didn't realise I was cr*pping it big style.

Correct procedure for understeer is let off slightly, and straighten up slightly.

I hit a roundabout at about 20-25mph earlier, the back just let go, had it in quite a controlled slide, until i ran out of lock lol, ended up just sliding to a halt facing the roundabout. just thinking, f**k me thats a greasy roundabout, remember that one for some more fun!

so you were turning right and turned right more as you lifted off the accelerator? I think what you should have done was turned left (straightened up slightly) as you lifted off and that would have straightened you up immediately.

306 GTI-6
to be honest, there wasnt much more room, if i had gone back left i would have hit the curb for sure. my instinct was to turn away from it. i understand about steering into skids etc, but there is no way I would have avoided the pavement if i had steered towards it, there just wasnt room.

to be honest, there wasnt much more room, if i had gone back left i would have hit the curb for sure. my instinct was to turn away from it. i understand about steering into skids etc, but there is no way I would have avoided the pavement if i had steered towards it, there just wasnt room.

its not that you are turning towards the skid to drive in that direction, just straightening up and lifting off the accelrator will snap you back straight

Turbo LY R27
i did that once in my first 1.2 rt. Overcooked it panicked, braked locked up and went over the roundabout and landed on the roof!! Very scary and a very stuipid 17 year old! Def learnt my lesson!:(

I felt like a pratt!lol!

Much more cautious now and dont tend to go into round abouts silly anymore! Id be gutted if i rolled the r27. def no no!

a renault
Had my first scare today.

Overcooked it going over a roundabout near me and experienced major understeer, ws heading straight for the pavement instead of round the roundabout. Could hear the tyres screeching, wound on some more turn on the wheel and eased off the accelerator, suddenly oversteer, but it snapped back towads the way I wanted to go and then managed to straighten up as i exited the r'bout.

Got a cheer of the local neds at the bus stop, gave them a thumbs up and carried on, with my heart giving it some to say the least!

Obviously what I did worked, but waht is the correct method of dealing with understeer?

A cheer or a laugh? ;)

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Go on a trackday and find out a safe way. I was a rubbish driver, took a trip to the ring and silverstone and although i wouldnt call myslef a great or indeed good driver, im certainly more aware of how to drive a fwd car.

Tweek the hand brake, straighten steering wheel, floor it and wave one hand out the window shouting 'ABU NAIIIIIIII!!!!'

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
if your understeering lift of very slighty straighten up that will stop the back end comign out if the back end does come out give it opposite lock and drop down a gear thats how ive always got out of a slide apart from one when i spun my corsa on a one way system:race:

ph1 172
i went on a skid pan a couple years ago, and they said to sort of shake the steering wheel left n right slightyly (not too aggressively) till u get the grip back..

Leon Cupra 300
If it goes straight on don't wind on more lock just back off! There's no grip there so winding on more will do naff all but send you into the roundabout when it finally grips or even oversteer if still goin quick!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Understeer is caused by too much steering angle, too much speed, or a combination of both.

To stop it, you must remove the cause.

Easing off the throttle has the risk that you'll get the oversteer that caught you out so should only be done very gently.

The other option is the steering, so you should remove some. Using less steering means the wheels can stop sliding across the surface and actually grip again.

That's the hardest thing about track driving to me. Getting it into my head that when the front's pushing wide, I should take some lock off - it just doesn't feel right so it's still a work-in-progress for me.

That's whay you sometimes see drivers sawing at the wheel as the go into a turn, they're trying to get the front wheels to grip.

But it does work. If ever you have the space on a road and absolute safety, try it.

That's the hardest thing about track driving to me. Getting it into my head that when the front's pushing wide, I should take some lock off - it just doesn't feel right so it's still a work-in-progress for me.

Drive with almost bald tires on the front in the wet for almost 1000miles you soon get it to a natural reaction...

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Drive with almost bald tires on the front in the wet for almost 1000miles you soon get it to a natural reaction...

Or drive with a safe car and never have the need to.

306 GTI-6
Understeer is caused by too much steering angle, too much speed, or a combination of both.

To stop it, you must remove the cause.

Easing off the throttle has the risk that you'll get the oversteer that caught you out so should only be done very gently.

The other option is the steering, so you should remove some. Using less steering means the wheels can stop sliding across the surface and actually grip again.

That's whay you sometimes see drivers sawing at the wheel as the go into a turn, they're trying to get the front wheels to grip.

But it does work. If ever you have the space on a road and absolute safety, try it.

That sounds like good advice, like i said first time ever happened, and first scare for me, happened very quickly. The oversteer did indeed nearly catch me out as it quickly had me pointing toward the island at the exit of the r'bout.