ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating in traffic / made out of cheese

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I've had a search through some previous threads about people having problems with overheating in traffic and other over heating problems, however didn't find anything conclusive that could help.

My situation: Went to the big weekend in carlisle last week, got stuck in loads of traffic coming out, temperature shot up, warning lights (stop + engine management light come on), soon hear the car bubbling and steam coming out, as it does. Pull over and wait for the AA. FML. (Didnt help that a few knobheads drove past shouting 'shouldnt buy french s**te').

Anyway, car has been in the garage today Renault Clinic, and initially i thought the temperature switch relay had gone, so that got changed, but it again kept overheating. I also thought it may have been because the fan wasnt kicking in when in traffic to cool the car. So as things stand its staying in the garage, and is also having tests on the head gasket tomorrow, and see if anything else could be up.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what it could possibly be?

Cheers.

Last edited:
  Megane dci 130
Very unusual for a k4m, normally very efficiant cooling systems.

If its not overheating whilst the car is moving (ie on the motorway) it will be fan related.

the fan was buggered on my old clio and overheated in traffic. when i was in traffic had to turn the heater on full blast to pull some heat off the engine was a nightmare in the summer!

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Yeah the heaters still blow hot like, and as for the fan not kicking in that was my guess, as at motorway speeds/moving at a pace temperature stays low. As for coolant, thats all been replaced, car overheated and blew it out again! Fcuk sake ha. I think it could be the fan, i hope anyway, rather than gasket.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
as said, traffic issues are usually fan related,

i keep a fan overide switch in my car for if im sat in traffic for too long!!
i dont trust my fan that much :p

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Just got it back from the garage, turns out it was that the wire from the ecu to the relay switch had coroded, meaning the fan wasnt coming on. All sorted now though hopefully.

Hi, maybe someone know which wire is that? I have the same problem but there's so many wire's I dont know which is the right one. Thanks for help.