ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

paddle clutches, any experience?

williams 2,seat leon
hey people. im looking at getting a helix paddle clutch for the willy turbo, as the one in it isnt coping with 250ft lb, and with another remap and more boos will be running more. im running a 172 flywheel so i can run a 215mm one like this

http://www.performanceclutch.co.uk/p0/20ltr-16v-sport-172-rs-2000/240400.htm

im just wondering if anyone has experience of using a paddle clutch on an every day car, and what your views on heliux or other makes are. they are not cheap items so im after as much advise as possible. many thanks in advance.

RS 182 CUP
nightmare to use in traffic, had one in a gt turbo a few years ago, great for quick changes and getting power down, but sh*te when you need to ride the clutch, eg crawling in traffic. youll end up with a right thigh like arnie too!

And because you probably didnt, ill search for you -

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...lutches-Experiences&highlight=paddle+clutches

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...o-172-paddle-clutch&highlight=paddle+clutches

Hated mine! Its on off as you say, very difficult/impossible to do a nice hill start, i had to rev and just boot it off.

Worst thing i bought, and was totally unneccessary for my needs.

It sounds cool, "running a paddle clutch" but id rather punch myself in the face.

Mine was an un sprung one as well :(

02112007254.jpg

Clio 182 TURBO
I had one fitted by Ktec last week and i love it.
Agreed, Hard to get used to. Very on or off.
But found i can still crawl in traffic. Very Sporty feel too!;)

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Well i have a sprung one in my cup racer and tbh its fine, bit more bite when it engages compared to a standard clutch but thats all really, not sure id want to use it everyday but its no way near as bad as everyone makes out. Perfect for a weekend/track car, probably wouldnt have on in a daily though.

You'll definitely notice a much heavier pedal due to the additional clutch plate which is there to handle the torque that is burning out your standard clutch. If you get one done and you don't like it i'd suggest getting the boost on the turbo reduced to reduce the power to a level the standard clutch can handle. A willy running that much torque is always going to require some compromises and in traffic you'll be compromising the ability to move smoothly at low speed, probably will make parking and hill starts more interesting too. A solution in traffic - pull away in second at about 2k rpm and use the bog down to not shoot forward.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 6 puk sprung centre made by helix and used it with the cover plate off a Volvo 440 turbo, never had an issue with it and I did once try a full bore 3rd gear launch in the itb car, lit up the tyres quite well act. I had no wherenear the torque yours will be putting out tho