ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint Help :)

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
Excuse the fact my car is disgustingly dirty, I'm using the excuse its too cold to wash it ;)

paint2.gif

If you look at that picture towards the right of it, around that massive stone (Ta gritters!!) chip you can see some cracking. Basically, my car is like that over all of the bonnet and its begining to come through on the wing, you can see some cracks on that picture. I'm assuming its where the previous owners failed to take care of the paint, just wondered if there was anything i could do aside from a respray that'd sort it a bit?

Ta

H xxx

Chocolate Bar™
looks like a proper respray is needed on that.

may have been a poor quality respray in the past ?

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
If its sprayed thou, it won't match the rest and i'll look like an idiot with a patchy car.

Agh :(

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What car is it . The paintwork looks really bad , how old etc ..... ?

Respray ??? Looks like it was painted with a f*ckin brush :eek:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Looks like the PC porter guys , Rich and Brazo would be best advising you on this one .

Looks like cracking of the clearcoat. Could be clearcoat failure. A machine polish won't sort this i'm afraid :(

106 GTi
Like Brazo says looks like clearcoat failure, nothing bar a repaint will fix it unfortunatley

ST
Clearcoat failure....i was told by a detail place that this could happen to mine if they were to PC my car because it may cause the lacquer to crack?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What actually causes clearcoat failure ? Is it a dodgy respray , can this happen to a factory applied clearcoat , any preventative measures people can take ?

Punto/Clio GTT
can you feel the cracks?
take it to a garage ask em if they can give it a wetflat 1500/2000 and mop it up. should make it look loads better, if its to the basecoat then it'll need painting.
could be loads of things, could be weathering, do you park near trees? sap can do that. poor prep, clearcoats had a slow reaction with basecoat etc etc

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
The stone chip is like three in one, and its lifted the paint off :(

Nope, you can't feel the cracks, they're just there. Its really annoying because a respray will make it look wierd because the panel will be a different colour.

Can i prevent it happening elsewhere? Its starting to go on the wing now :(

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
I *think* these is one of those hand held electric powered polisher thing in my shed, That what you mean?
Its got little pad things or socks that go over the head and you put polish on them and it spins round...

Do i have to do anything special to the car before i do it (obviously wash the grit etc away)?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
you need to buy the rights cuts and polish. its a tricky game... it wont get rid of the cracks but will make it look better and should protect the rest of your paint

I'd agree with Rich and Brazo, PC'ing is unlikely to improve matters. I'd do as Final Maxim says after all he works in a bodyshop.

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
Final_Maxin, Nope, I park on my drive and there are no trees etc. I've only had the car a couple of months, it was like this when i got it, but seems to be getting slightly worse over time..

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Rich said:
I dont know if it will make it look better if it forces polish into the fine cracks.
i was thinking of the rest of the paint. the bonnet would look better i think. worth a shot

106 GTi
Scut_Wings said:
i was thinking of the rest of the paint. the bonnet would look better i think. worth a shot

The rest of the paint fully agreed, but the bonnet is 50/50 imo, if/when the polish gets forced into the cracks by a pc, you wont get it out and it may look worse when it dries white in there.

If there is plenty of clear on there a wet sand and then polish *may* sort it.

I'd also be concerned if the clearcoat has reacted to the basecoat to cause the cracks it may lift if its aggitated by a pc and polishing compound, leaving sections of dull damaged basecoat. Trip to a bodyshop to properly asses it is the best bet.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yer see what they say..but they wana re spray it, which will sort it but if you want it just to look better ask them if its possable to sand and mop it

106 GTi
Looking at the paint there is nothing to lose of wet sanding, as if it works it can only save the repaint/relaquer it needs now.

VaVa
All sorts of nasty reactions gone on there. That's known as 'crazing' (looks like crazy paving.

I had a similar thing happen on my bumper after a chips away type guy repaired a scuff. Only option for me was a resprayed bumper.

Clearocoat failure is where the clearcoat separates from the base (colour) coat. It can be caused by poor spraying tecniques, a poor repair (isolated area) or thinning of the clearcoat. The clearcoat can be thinned by machine polishing which is why its so important to use a paint thickness guage. As a rule of thumb approx a 1/3 of the clearcoat can be removed safely before this starts to happen.

Clearcoats contain UV inhibitors in the top half of the clear and nce this is worn through polishing or oxidation the clearcoat will start to come away if subjected to UV rays for a long period.

Citroen saxo vtr
looks like its been previously resprayed, except the paint has been applied too thickly and now started to crack, polishing will improve the paints appearance, but wont last long, only cure is a respray of the affected panels.

106 GTi
Bump for BenP ...

Worked on a Sierra Cosworth yesterday with this problem in a couple of areas.

The PC I can safely say did nothing to fix the problem, a pass with Swirl remover on a cutting pad, and a pass with Optimum Polish on polishing pad , coat of Klasse AIO by hand - Then problem time:

AG Extra Gloss Sealant as predicted got stuck in the cracks and dried in the cracks, looking awfull. Approach these defects with caution.