ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Part Worn Tyres

phase 1 flamer 172
most people are driving around on part worn tyres, whats the difference?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
What size you after ? I have tyres coming off my 182 soon and 2 spare sat round doing nothing.

clio 172 phase 2
Longs they been repaired proper within the limit . And no obvious signs off bulges , burn marks on the inside, slashes cuts, any cord exsposed the. Theres nothing wrong with them imo i sell them daily as im a tyre fitter and i make a a decent profit out of it if im honest ! I sell mine for 20 under 16 anything over depending on con 25 onwards !

WRX
Trouble is, you don't know the history of the tyre and a lot of the places that supply them, don't exactly shout honesty IMO. Not exactly money well spent as they are definitely no better value than new. If you drive sensibly and for suburban use only, then budgets would be a better option, if money is tight. Loads of people on here will argue against that but I've been driving for 22 years and often on budgets. Also I bet most member's girlfriends/wives/mothers are rolling on budgets.

What history is to go with a part worn tyre out of interest. As long as there's tread, no bulges slashes or wire its just just a working circle of rubber

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I have just purchased 4 x Hancook W310 Winter tyres in 195/50/15 for £200 delivered from Camskill.

Bargain

Good price that.

To the OP. Dont buy cheap, used tyres.

You dont know how many times theyve been fixed or what not.

A motorist paralysed in a horrific car accident when driving on part worn tyres is hoping his story will urge other drivers to think twice about which tyres they choose.

Keith Johnston, 41 from Tyne and Wear suffered terrible life-changing injuries in the smash earlier this year and is now permanently paralysed from the top of his chest down, only able to move his arms and neck.

Apart from the severe physical injuries he has also experienced damaging emotional scars, often enduring nightmarish flashbacks to the fateful day on 8th February when he was driving his Renault Megane Scenic near Carlisle.

With temperatures well below freezing at the time of the accident, when going round a bend the car lost control, bumped across the road and rolled down a ditch. However, there was one miracle – the four passengers in the car escaped uninjured.

All of the tyres on the car had recently been purchased in a part-worn condition and a police investigation blamed them as a major contributory factor in the accident.

Source: http://www.tyresafe.org/media-centr...iver-pays-terrible-price-with-part-worn-tyres

If not for you, think of your passengers.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
No problem what so ever if they are good tyres but you gotta ask yourself why would someone take tyres off that are part worn!? Maybe defects that can't be seen when deflated/off the rim, perishing, puncture repair to close to side wall. But if tyres are good crack on!! :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Used to always get them on my Clio 1.2. £12 each fitted and balanced, even got some Birdgestones and Pirelli's once!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
No problem what so ever if they are good tyres but you gotta ask yourself why would someone take tyres off that are part worn!? Maybe defects that can't be seen when deflated/off the rim, perishing, puncture repair to close to side wall. But if tyres are good crack on!! :)

I had 4x brand new Toyo Proxy T1R's fitted the other day to my Type R. They've done 15-20 miles. Lets imagine someone crashed into my stationary car and wrote it off. What would happen to my tyres? Im GUESSING this is were they get them from?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
had budgets on my old 1.4, didnt stop me and had a bump. bought slightly more expensive budgets (kumhos) and had slightly better motoring lol.

my r27 has budgets (nexen) from the dealer... im going to kill these before getting conti 3s to match the rears. although these are decent for budgets, theyre hardly confidence inspiring.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have just purchased 4 x Hancook W310 Winter tyres in 195/50/15 for £200 delivered from Camskill.

Bargain

So tempting..

Parada spec 2's are a bit iffy on ice from what I can tell so far so dread to see what there like on full on snow... Anyone ran them through winter?

ITB BG 182
I buy part worns but only from some one i have known for a long time. I used to get Goodyear GSD3's for around £25 each with near to brand new tread.

I currently get T1R's for about £80 all round fitted and balanced etc etc..

ITB BG 182
so whats the deal with part worns? how do people come across nearly new ones to sell on?
How my friend gets them is from car sales places, when people have a car of some kind but dont like the tyres it comes with or upgrades the tyres to some thing else from the dealership, others are defects from the factory, so missing a letter on the side wall or incorrect spelling, a scuff from the machine. I had two tyres that read Michell.

Some places buy old tyres from kwikfit and other areas then to repair and resell on.

Impreza Wagon
I heard a rumour that some of the tyres come from overseas where the legal limit is a lot higher than in the UK, could be wrong though.

Clio 1.2 Ripcurl
Thanks for the Info Guys!!

Went and got two Bridgestone A001 with 7mm of tread left for my front wheels for £35 all fitted and balanced!!

I spoke to the guy and he gets most of the part worn tyres from germany as they have to change there tyres when winter/summer arrive (could be wrong!) and also their minimum tread is like 3mm to our 1.6mm.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Thanks for the Info Guys!!

Went and got two Bridgestone A001 with 7mm of tread left for my front wheels for £35 all fitted and balanced!!

I spoke to the guy and he gets most of the part worn tyres from germany as they have to change there tyres when winter/summer arrive (could be wrong!) and also their minimum tread is like 3mm to our 1.6mm.

He is right, law in certain places around Europe. Should be here too.

MX5 Elise111s
I have just bought some Yokohama A048s with 4mm of tread for a fraction of the cost new for track day use. There are quite a few around at the moment as one of the race series which uses them is switching to Avons next year. A lot of people buy used slicks.

If you want some cheap everyday tyres pop down to your local breakers. One in Scunthorpe does them at £12 fitted. They leave them on the wheels they came in on until you want them then swap them over on to your own wheels. You are generally only going to get run of the mill tyres but some enthusiasts do crash their cars or have engine failures so you might get lucky.

S4 Avant
I bought a pair of used paradas that were scrubbed down to 4mm for competition use.

Cost me £6.50

Any one going to complain about that? Nothing wrong with part worns so long as you're smart about it.

172 Rally Car
Just curious; everyone who won't use part worns because they might be damaged etc. Do you change the tyres straight away when you buy a second hand car?