ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS Pump Replacement

Iceberg 172
Hi Guys,
I just upgraded to a iceberg 172 from a member on here! It's amazing! And I'm enjoying it a lot.

However, the pas pump is whiney and I'm thinking about changing it.

A few questions:

1. Shall I use a refurb es, secondhand, or new pas pump?
2. Can the pump be a driveway replacement job and if so what special tools do I need?
3. Is there a guide?
4. How much do garages charge to change it?

I'd like to do the job myself for the experience but was unsure if there was a guide, I have haynes manual for 01-05 clios.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks Dan

its an easy job really similar to changing the aux belt i removed the alternator as well.. used a s/h pump from the parts section on here . needed to be done quick as my mates 182 pump gave way outside my house. mite take a few hours if you not worked on one before.. remove all you can for better access as will make the job loads easier.

Iceberg 172
its an easy job really similar to changing the aux belt i removed the alternator as well.. used a s/h pump from the parts section on here . needed to be done quick as my mates 182 pump gave way outside my house. mite take a few hours if you not worked on one before.. remove all you can for better access as will make the job loads easier.
Thanks gibbo, did you follow any guides?

If I follow the aux belt guide and then just take off the pas pump pullay and pas pump?

Do I need to replace the pas pump? Pas pulley? Aux belt? And aux tensioner?

Ta

Many.
If the aux belt kit hasn't been done in a while, Replace it, its only £56 from Renault Wolverhampton on here.

Follow the aux belt guide, plus remove alternator, brackets, Poss aircon pump, before getting to the PAS pump.

Dextron 2 fluid required.

Best to fit a new part you know is perfect order, but I'd consider a known good condition used.

Hope that helps.

Iceberg 172
If the aux belt kit hasn't been done in a while, Replace it, its only £56 from Renault Wolverhampton on here.

Follow the aux belt guide, plus remove alternator, brackets, Poss aircon pump, before getting to the PAS pump.

Dextron 2 fluid required.

Best to fit a new part you know is perfect order, but I'd consider a known good condition used.

Hope that helps.

Aux belt was replaced with the alternator at the end og last year by Mick at diamond motors.

When removing the poss aircon pump and the pas pump do I need to drain anything or keep anything in sync etc.. ?

Maybe I'll buy a good second hand one as the new ones are expensive from Renault!!

Thanks Alex

i did at one point think i was going to need to remove the aircon pump but once the aux tensioner is off the ps pump came out easily.. if you have the time just take off all you can to make it easier for yourself..

i think new ones require the flange from the old pump being pulled off then pressing onto the new one . ive read that this has caused problems for people when not perfectly aligned and caused the belt to fall off..
as said tho for the sake of 50 quid id change the whole aux kit as its going to have to all come off anyway.

Last edited:
  Many.
Aux belt was replaced with the alternator at the end og last year by Mick at diamond motors.

When removing the poss aircon pump and the pas pump do I need to drain anything or keep anything in sync etc.. ?

Maybe I'll buy a good second hand one as the new ones are expensive from Renault!!

Thanks Alex

As long as its not done thousands of miles, and its all in good condition, I'd poss keep the old Aux belt kit.

PAS fluid needs to be drained obviously, and bleed correctly once finished. No need to disconnect any A/C lines.

i did at one point think i was going to need to remove the aircon pump but once the aux tensioner is off the ps pump came out easily.. if you have the time just take off all you can to make it easier for yourself..

TBH I wasn't sure if you have to remove the A/C pump, I know I did when I did mine, but I think that might of just been for ease or something else.

Iceberg 172
As long as its not done thousands of miles, and its all in good condition, I'd poss keep the old Aux belt kit.

PAS fluid needs to be drained obviously, and bleed correctly once finished. No need to disconnect any A/C lines.

TBH I wasn't sure if you have to remove the A/C pump, I know I did when I did mine, but I think that might of just been for ease or something else.

Thanks guys, the thought of spending 300+ for it to be done and then you saying it's not to bad of a job is reassuring! Thank you!

If anyone else has any advice it'd be much appreciated as it'll be the first time doing the aux for me!

id at least change the belt if not wanting to do the tensioners. i think the belt is only about 15 quid.. its going to be off anyway and even if just going by the horror stories of the aux belt taking the rest of it out id change it..

100% new aux belt kit. It's just not worth the risk. £56 saving, when it lets go runs into £1000+ bill.

You only need to remove the alt to get to the pump, bit of jiggling and it'll come out.

Iceberg 172
id at least change the belt if not wanting to do the tensioners. i think the belt is only about 15 quid.. its going to be off anyway and even if just going by the horror stories of the aux belt taking the rest of it out id change it..

Yeah I think I'll buy a second hand pump and a full aux belt kit including tensioner. Do you think it'll be ok to leave until
maybe the next few bank holidays?

Iceberg 172
100% new aux belt kit. It's just not worth the risk. £56 saving, when it lets go runs into £1000+ bill.

You only need to remove the alt to get to the pump, bit of jiggling and it'll come out.

Thanks Dan,

how much are pumps? New, reconed, and s/h?

Never had a recon one, new were about £260 last time I bought one. But you need to press the flange off the old pump. 100% not a job for someone with just a halfords tool kit as it has to be pressed on to the new pump to a certain depth.

Iceberg 172
Never had a recon one, new were about £260 last time I bought one. But you need to press the flange off the old pump. 100% not a job for someone with just a halfords tool kit as it has to be pressed on to the new pump to a certain depth.

Are there any motor factors that sell them with the flange for the pulley already on?

Looks like a low mileage good secondhand one is the best solution for me. Is there any danger in leaving it for a month or so as I need to wait for another bank holiday weekend?

i got a second hand one on here for 20 quid i think. was for my mates 182 as it spat its guts out outside my house and had just had cambelt and aux kit fitted by a garage. i think as the pump had been whyning for a while it had extra strain put on it from the new belt and tensioner.
i put the new s\h pump on then it went straight to its track day at llandow where my mate hammered it round all day and has been fine since.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yep 100% do the auxbelt.

As far as changing it goes

Drain all the fluid out of the old pump and system (not entirely sure on the best method, I just ran the car with one of the hoses off and into a container and went from lock to lock a few times.)

There is 3 bolts on the front of the pulley, slacken these off before removing the aux belt, it's harder to do once the belt is off.

Then take the belt off and tensioner off.

Then the alternator needs to either come off completely or be pulled towards the front of the car (much easier with the slam panel off)

Remove the pulley from the front of the pump

There are 3 more bolts to undo to get the pump off (obviously you need to disconnect the other hose)

Remove the pump.

Then it's just the reverse and follow the aux belt guide.

Don't think I've missed anything there, obviously I did mine with a second hand pump so didn't have to worry about pressing the flange on.

Iceberg 172
Awesome information!

I'll source the parts and do this next bank holiday! Thank you for all your help!

encase its not mentioned above as i couldnt see but their are 3 bolts on the front of the ps pump (pully side) and their is also one on the on the back of the pump to remove before it will pull out..

Iceberg 172
Ok,

So bumper off with wheel arches etc.. Follow aux belt guide until time to remove belt, undo pulley bolts. Then remove the belt and tensioner, then the alternator. Take pump off. and then in reverse order?

Thanks

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Did you manage this ok?
I plan to do mine very soon as my whine sounds identical to the OP.
I would be buying a recon pump on ebay for £95

P2 172, Mazda 6 est
Careful when you do the pulley bolts back up, they don't need to be super tight and I snapped one of mine :( The torque settings are all listed here somewhere.

When all the bolts are out of the pump it still feels like it doesn't want to come out. To be honest I lost my temper a bit and smashed it out with a block of wood and a hammer to loosen it as it was fecked anyway but I possibly would not advise doing this...

Oh and as said try to drain the fluid first as it goes everywhere when you take the hoses off the pump otherwise which of course didn't happen to me as that would be very stupid.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I dont care if the fluid goes everywhere haha. But i will attempt to drain it correctly first.

Did you replace your Aux belt ? Mine was done in may and has done 3k miles so not sure if that needs changing

P2 172, Mazda 6 est
I did but mine needed doing anyway. I think you can buy the belt on it's own for around £23 or the whole kit for £72 which is what I did. Comes with tensioner and bottom idler pulley which is a bit of a faff to change as you'll need to lift the engine up a bit but if it was me and it had done 3k I'd re-use the tensioner etc. I would change the belt though personally as it's such a ball ache to get in there that you really won't want to do it again. Ever.

You can drain it using this method if the pump is already dead anyway:

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/the-easy-way-to-change-your-power-steering-fluid.552071/

Works surprisingly well!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
The pump works fine. Just very noisy and makes more noise when turning the steering wheel lol.

thanks for the guide !

P2 172, Mazda 6 est
The pump works fine. Just very noisy and makes more noise when turning the steering wheel lol.

thanks for the guide !

Change the fluid first! It may save you a lot of time, money and ruined hands. Even my completely mullered pump that had tuned all the fluid black and sounded like a supercharger responded well to a fluid change.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
not had a chance to try it yet, Things have got in the way. I aim to do it at the weekend if i get a chance

Megane R26
My aux belt squeals like mad, however when I turn the cabin fans off the squealing stops almost completely!