ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passed MOT with De-cat

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Im now happier than a dog with two tails.

Dont know if the ecotek helped but glad I left teh de-cat on to see if it would pass.

Excellent, you found a dodgy MOT place. ;)

Seriously though, a number of cars could pass the emmisions section of the MOT without their cat fitted, but part of the test is supposed to be a visual check of the cat.

What were the CO reading for the natural idle & fast idle tests, just wondering how close it was?

Hopefully wont have to swap mine over either!

How old is your car, what reg is it? You will easily pass (unless you have altered your fueling somewhat) if you put a decat on a pre k reg car.

Paul

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

N Reg 16v with Magnex de-cat and exhaust, BMC CDA, BB chip and ecotek.

Magnex de-cat actually looks like a cat so that probably fooled them on inspection.

Didnt get a print out with readings etc, or a sheet that you normally get when it fails like it did last year on a bulb and handbrake cable.

Not a dodgy place, just a place that sells tyres and exhausts so they cant fail you for stupid things and make money out of work, just on tyres and exhausts.

Well chuffed. Although makes me wonder what the emissions were like as no print out to prove theyre OK.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rich 19_16v on 20 March 2003

Seriously though, a number of cars could pass the emmisions section of the MOT without their cat fitted, but part of the test is supposed to be a visual check of the cat.
Since when?!

There is no law that states that a car MUST have a cat, only that is must pass an emmisions test when MOT time comes.

So, if that car can meet the required emmisions levels without a cat then there is no problem and its all perfectly legal.

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 20 March 2003

Since when?!

There is no law that states that a car MUST have a cat, only that is must pass an emmisions test when MOT time comes.
Thought there was a law after 1992 that a car had to have a catalitic converter? thats what the several garages i went to told me

Im sure the Mot states:

Do all 93 on cars have to meet the cat standards?
Several post 93 cars have cats fitted but are only subject to the none cat test. This is usually because they have a carb fitted or the manufacturer has not submitted data.

I have a post 93 car, if I remove the cat would it still pass the MOT if the emissions are OK?
There is nothing in the MOT regs to say a cat has to be in place but if the vehicle year/spec says it has to be tested to cat emission standards then it would be done using cat specs. If the car met those limits without a cat then yes it would pass.
Will a 1991 built car, thats imported into the UK in 1999 be subject to cat standards testing?
From the testers manual.
Vehicles fitted with modified engines
If an engine has been modified in any way, it still has to meet the exhaust emission requirements according to the age of the vehicle.
Personal Imports
The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use. The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that that particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.
eg. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5% HC 1200ppm.
Vehicles fitted with different engines
Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle. eg. 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of what ever make) test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.
NOTE: The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age.

(taken from http://www.motors.freeuk.com/faq/mote.htmhttp://www.motors.freeuk.com/faq/mote.htm)

god mines has a cat and still failed for emissions thankfully ihes amate and cowboyd it told me to talk a walk for 5 min and when i came back it had passed

k reg 1.4rt

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by myky16 on 20 March 2003

Thought there was a law after 1992 that a car had to have a catalitic converter? thats what the several garages i went to told me
Kind of...

Basically, from Aug 1992 (K Reg) pretty much all cars had cats fitted from the factory (some eariler) as there were more stringent emissions tests introducedd and most cars needed the cat to pass.

However, if a post 92 car can pass the emissions test come MOT time even without a cat then its perfectly legal!