ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Anti Virus

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Evening all,

Following on from my previous thread about all in one pcs. I have now got them and need to download a decent antivirus.

I don't have much experience with these but will need one that doesn't slow the computer down too much and a licence over 3/4 computers.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
I got bitdefender as it came with 4 licences and wasn't too expensive. Haven't noticed it slow my compute down (i5 8gb surface pro 2).

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Antivirus is a difficult one, personally I think the days of downloading 3rd party anti-virus software are largely over unless you really need extra layers of protection and control in a corporate environment. Because of the way they work, AV products can actually introduce another surface for hackers to attack.

For home use I'd say Windows Defender is built in and does the job just fine. Keep the system patched. Download and run MalwareBytes occasionally. Stay away from warez and dodgy download/streaming sites. That's what I've done and either I've been reeeeely lucky or it works because I've not had a virus for years now.

If you do need those extra controls and web site blocking etc in a work environment, we use Sophos at work and our IT guys know their stuff so that's what I'd suggest too.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I use Avast at home, not had any issues yet.

As always keep windows updated, don't go on dodgy sites and make sure you don't have flash installed.

Cupra
Give the users a user account, rather than one with adminstrative priviledges for an extra layer of security too, unless you want them to install everything.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Antivirus is a difficult one, personally I think the days of downloading 3rd party anti-virus software are largely over unless you really need extra layers of protection and control in a corporate environment. Because of the way they work, AV products can actually introduce another surface for hackers to attack.

For home use I'd say Windows Defender is built in and does the job just fine. Keep the system patched. Download and run MalwareBytes occasionally. Stay away from warez and dodgy download/streaming sites. That's what I've done and either I've been reeeeely lucky or it works because I've not had a virus for years now.

If you do need those extra controls and web site blocking etc in a work environment, we use Sophos at work and our IT guys know their stuff so that's what I'd suggest too.

Tend to agree with this nowadays... pretty much unnecessary; just keep Defender running in the background constantly checking :up: