ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Power Supply - help!

VaVa
Pretty sure my psu is fubared. 240vac going in and 0vdc coming out, on neither the 3.3, 5, or 12vdc. No obvious signs/smells of burning. If there is an internal fuse I can't see it. Lol

it's a 300w atx fortron/source. FSP300-60gtm. Can't find a direct replacement on tinternet.

What else, aside from voltages/power rating/size, is there to consider when sourcing a new one?

It's a 20 pin mb connection btw.

No PC FTL!! :(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
There is an internal fuse.. but its not serviceable and if you open it you are likely to shock yourself as the caps stay charged for yonks..

Buy a new PSU, I don't know if you can even get 300w PSU's now lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty sure my psu is fubared. 240vac going in and 0vdc coming out, on neither the 3.3, 5, or 12vdc. No obvious signs/smells of burning. If there is an internal fuse I can't see it. Lol

it's a 300w atx fortron/source. FSP300-60gtm. Can't find a direct replacement on tinternet.

What else, aside from voltages/power rating/size, is there to consider when sourcing a new one?

It's a 20 pin mb connection btw.

No PC FTL!! :(

Key thing for me in picking a replacement would be to make sure it was modular. That way you can connect as many or as few cables into the main PSU itself without having loads of wires everywhere in the case.

It's definitely an ATX PSU and not a micro-ATX one?

Here's an OCZ modular one with 550w output, which would give you a little room for expansion....

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/41400/OCZ-PSU-550FTY-UK-Fatal1ty--3-year-warranty-

Clearly comes with the modular sockets as well, as seen in the tech drawing....

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/manuals/psu/OCZ550FTY.pdf

D.

VaVa
Right... Cheers for the info mate. I'm presuming ATX refers to the size. My psu is approx 6" across.

I've seen this one http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...el+Motherboards+20Pin+++4Pin+?productId=35766

does it look ok? Pc doesn't do any real work tbh, but better to have more grunt available.

PC has a DVD/RW drive, DVD drive, 300GB SATA HDD, intel dual core 1.86 ghz iirc, 1.5GB RAM ... and Some 256mb Nvidia GC that I can't remember the name of lol

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, ATX refers to the size of the PSU. It does sound right if you're saying around 6" across.

I'm guessing that the one you provided the link for is Aria'a own rebranded one? It should be ok if like you say, the PC doesn't actually do any real work. However, if you rely on your PC a lot - even simply to go on the internet/emails, etc - I would definitely be inclined to get a better spec/branded make of PSU. Cheap(er) ones have an increased likelihood of going pop. :)

D.

VaVa
Yeah, I'm pretty concious of cheap stuff... My experience with electronics/electrics at work has taught me that things are usually cheap for a reason.

But then I'm also unsure that I want to chuck £50+ at a 4 year old PC that I intend to replace sooner rather than later.

I'll try the cheap one, see how it goes. And I'll let you all laugh at me if it blows up in a few weeks lol :-D

Cheers for the help dude :approve: